Broken Saints Forum Index Broken Saints
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MODERATORS?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Broken Saints Forum Index -> What Would You Give...to Know the Truth?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rexfelum

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject: MODERATORS? Reply with quote

Okay, so this is already being discussed in that other thread, but I wanted to start a new thread. Just in case someone didn't notice. I noticed, though. And my reaction was "bwuh??"

Apparently, we now have moderators and I'm one of them. I'm not exactly comfortable with this. I mean . . . I'd do it, sure, if "moderator" equaled "person who does absolutely no more than Brooke ever did on this forum, i.e., the occasional deletion of blatant spam threads." And if that were the case, the forum would only have changed from "literally unmoderated" to "unmoderated."

But . . . moderators . . .

How long until I think of myself as a moderator, instead of a member? I mean, yes, I'd do the job 'cause I'm just the person who'd be protective of the storyline forum (although it doesn't seem to need much protecting . . . ), but my name is now written in blue. How long will it be before newcomers, who know nothing of our "unmoderated" land, say "Hey, a moderator! Now when someone makes me feel uncomfortable in a public forum, I'll just go and talk to that Re . . . flex . . . um person! Or maybe not, 'cause I can't pronounce his name, but whatever!"?

I don't quite view this with unmixed feelings. As Zero requested, I will be in IRC tonight, but I'm not sure what I'll say. (Also, I will be simultaneously distracted by lethal amounts of work, the Olympics, and two kittens.)

(Ohhhhhh, kittens. Must focus on the kittens.)

--Rexfelum, Esq.
Zero (The Anon One)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally understood here, man. I feel a lot of the same way. Also, thanks for starting this thread, it probably is good we have a fresh venue for talking about this stuff.

Anyways, I'm in chat right now, Gups is sending Moo as her standin since she can't be here, and I'm hoping Sag will come online sometime tonight. I plan to be there the rest of the night, and anyone else who wants to come talk, so come on whenever you feel like it.

Also, god bless the kittens.

-Davey Crockett
FallenAngel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since getting my new machine, I have not yet put mIRC on it.

so, you all just reminded me to do so, but, I forgot how do get into the brokensaints mIRC chat. Anyone want to help me out? Thanks!

I know this is completely off topic...my apologies. Congrats to our new moderators! I think it is a wonderful idea and the members to do so were well chosen!

"did I dream this belief?
or did i believe this dream?"
Zero (The Anon One)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've got Java, www.brokensaints.com/chat will work.

If not, in the mIRC set up, change the server to irc.brokensaints.com, the port to 6667. When it asks for a channel, type #brokensaints

See ya there soon, I hope!

-Davey Crockett
Kiretsu

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

server: irc.brokensaints.com
Port: 6667
Channel: #brokensaints

My quandaries make my head spin and my tummy growl.

There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures, right next to the mashed potatoes.

Live every week like it's Shark Week!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Mooshou

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not changing my position on what I said in IRC. I hate this idea and I hope you moderators don't abuse anything.

You make me want to hate this place Brooke. Thanks a fucking lot.
Emperor Xan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My name change reflects my views of who's modding which section. It will remain as is until a change is made.

Shit man, I can barely make a peanut butter and jelly sandwhich. I can't make a watch.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Zero (The Anon One)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a vote and some arguing about various provisions, we have passed the following charter.

1) We will delete spam.
2) We will refer unsolved problems to Brooke.

We will also, in a period of 30 days:

1) Reconvene to discuss the topic of moving miscategorized threads to other forums.

If it's not on that list, we don't do it, kids. That includes no deletion, no locking, no banning, no editing, nothing. Zip. Nada. Zilch. If you have a legitimate complaint about what you feel is an abuse of power by a mod, please report it to Brooke so that he can check his logs and take appropriate action.

I'm leaving tomorrow morning and will be back Sunday evening or Monday morning. If you'd like to reach me in the meantime, please feel free to PM.

Thank you and good night.

-Davey Crockett
Kiretsu

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is being read into way to deeply.

There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures, right next to the mashed potatoes.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Emperor Xan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kiretsu wrote:

By what standards are you measuring this by?

Shit man, I can barely make a peanut butter and jelly sandwhich. I can't make a watch.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kiretsu

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emperor Xan, Political Ex wrote:
Kiretsu wrote:

By what standards are you measuring this by?

The standard of "Guilty until proven innocent".

Emperor Xan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps there's a reason for that when you look at who's moderating what.

Mooshou

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: MODERATORS? Reply with quote

Rexfelum wrote:
Apparently, we now have moderators and I'm one of them. I'm not exactly comfortable with this. I mean . . . I'd do it, sure, if "moderator" equaled "person who does absolutely no more than Brooke ever did on this forum, i.e., the occasional deletion of blatant spam threads." And if that were the case, the forum would only have changed from "literally unmoderated" to "unmoderated."

But . . . moderators . . .

How long until I think of myself as a moderator, instead of a member? I mean, yes, I'd do the job 'cause I'm just the person who'd be protective of the storyline forum (although it doesn't seem to need much protecting . . . ), but my name is now written in blue. How long will it be before newcomers, who know nothing of our "unmoderated" land, say "Hey, a moderator! Now when someone makes me feel uncomfortable in a public forum, I'll just go and talk to that Re . . . flex . . . um person! Or maybe not, 'cause I can't pronounce his name, but whatever!"?

--Rexfelum, Esq.

I must respond to this in a more cool and collective manner as not to confuse others with my distaste of the present situation. When I woke up this morning and finally got out of bed, I came to the computer, fiddled around and thought, hmm.. it's not majorly important but I'll check the forums. Only because it's something that had grown on me.. in me. I mean, when I'm not communicating with friends (other than internet ones) I'm on here communicating with all of you. I've laughed and cried and giggled.. cause giggling is good. Try it sometime. Anyway, I opened this page up and voila- mods. What the hell happened?? So I checked that one thread and of course..... mods. It's not that I was upset at who was chosen at first.. but the process? And the reasoning? And the underlying future effect? Other people have professed their faith in the chosen mods and I'm sorry to say that after observing the mods' online behavior, I'm not one to do that except in Richard.

And the main reason that I have been upset is this: how much of a rush was it to make someone (some people) moderators on here? The truth is... there was no rush. A decision on moderating could have come in time, in asking us, in coming to a collective decision if anything.

There's something to be said between the difference of a moderator and regular member too. A hierarchy becomes established, and that places strain on the relationships between those in power (regardless of the degree) and those not. It might be a silent strain, but it's still there. I mean, c'mon now.. there's definitely a difference between Brooke/Andrew/Ian and company compared to us regular members. Even way back when there was a line of distinction drawn between the Saints and the board rats. What has happened will cause a rift in the members. and I'm sorry to see that happen. My brain is drained, I'm done.
Zenphobia

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this situation is overblown.

You guys are spending more time fighting this minor change than you spend fighting bigger things that are routinely bitched about on these forms (by this I mean political problems).

And Moo, it's hard for me to respect your argument when you repeatedly said that they were leaving the forums over this. I've always liked you, but when your first reaction is to ditch instead of deal... I don't know, it just bothers me.

Xan, you haven't been around much and now show up to bitch. So what if Saggio owned you in a couple of debates, that has nothing to do with his credibility.

So some of the most respected and most active members now have the power to delete spam and stop trolls from spamming their dicks all over the forums, whats the problem? They're respected for a reason and they're active for a reason.

Freedom of speech? If someone isn't mature enough to respect another person they aren't mature enough to handle freedom of speech.

-Rickson Gracie
Emperor Xan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zen, you opinions don't matter to me. My complaint is much more than my personal dislike of him. Of course, you're too blind to see that.

Mooshou

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zenphobia wrote:
And Moo, it's hard for me to respect your argument when you repeatedly said that they were leaving the forums over this. I've always liked you, but when your first reaction is to ditch instead of deal... I don't know, it just bothers me.

Wait, who did I say was leaving the forums over this? and what does "this" mean? Moderators? Because if you actually meant me, I never said I was leaving over the moderators, I will though if it gets out of hand.. in fact it still makes me upset that moderators were chosen and chosen without our knowledge. And no offense Zen but I've been here longer than you have. I've observed behaviors a lot longer than you have on here too. And I know some of these members perhaps better than you. If you saw me upset and about ready to leave, and now I'm posting again.. it's because I have reasons for my actions. But did it ever occur to you to stop and ask me personally? I don't remember receiving a PM from you at any time. Thanks for keeping the faith.
Zenphobia

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm so goddamn sick of you fucking people. All the fucking pretentiousness. All you people who think you know the right answer or how things are supposed to be. Well fuck you. I'm fucking out of this place.

-Rickson Gracie
Kiretsu

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mooshou wrote:
Zenphobia wrote:

Wait, who did I say was leaving the forums over this?

I looked, because I clearly remeber reading on here that you were leaving. Looks like it might have been in an edited post...

Mooshou

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zenphobia wrote:
Quote:
I'm so goddamn sick of you fucking people. All the fucking pretentiousness. All you people who think you know the right answer or how things are supposed to be. Well fuck you. I'm fucking out of this place.

So what? I can't get upset? I am on medication you know . I've had all day to go back and think things over. I am tired of some of the people on here. I shouldn't have used the f-word. Perhaps I shouldn't have been stormy as I was. So sorry Zen. I've also cried a lot today.
Zenphobia

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant to say that "you" Moo were leaving the forums. My mistake on the typo, so, whatever.

And you are correct in saying that you have been here longer than me. Does that make my opinion worth less?

-Rickson Gracie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Broken Saints Forum Index -> What Would You Give...to Know the Truth? All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: