Broken Saints Forum Index Broken Saints
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Better name might be Nintendo Wtf
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Broken Saints Forum Index -> What Would You Give...to Know the Truth?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zero (The Anon One)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I hear in Dutch it means "Soul Crushing Incestous Granny Fetish Rapist Man."

-Davey Crockett
Nick

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the Dutch. Crazy bastards.

On a sidenote, everytime I look at Dutch text I get the distinct impression that the person on the other end who wrote it is some kind of retarded freak whose brain has been split in two and placed in separate jars - one in England and one in Deutschland.

That's probably just me, though. You enjoy learning the language, Z-man.

Last edited by Nick on Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kiretsu

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zero (The Anon One) wrote:
Well, I hear in Dutch it means "Soul Crushing Incestous Granny Fetish Rapist Man."

I'd prefer that over Wii.

And no, I don't mean for the console name.

My quandaries make my head spin and my tummy growl.

There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures, right next to the mashed potatoes.

Live every week like it's Shark Week!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
f-ram.net

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i fucking love the name
Zero (The Anon One)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kinda get the same impression, Nick. Good think I took German in high school, I guess.

Although, nothing like having sweet nothings whispered in your ear in a gloittal language. ~_^

-Davey Crockett
Nick

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Consider me officially envious
Zephie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey now, was ist wrong with der Niederlandsche language, boys?

Also, as far as the lingual vouching goes - it doesn't mean anything in Dutch (contrary to what boyo Z might have you believe ). In German, there's "wie" which means "how", but that's about it.

My Mandarin dictionary tosses up a multitude of meanings for "yi", depending on the tone. Quite a bit too many to list, in fact, but here's a couple funnies: "yi" second tone can mean "lose" or "forget", but also "involuntary discharge of urine". A different character also pronounced "yi" second tone means "move" or "change", and one in fourth tone means "different", "unusual", both of which work with the original working name - but yet another character of second tone means "doubt", whereas one character pronounced "yi" fourth tone means "profit". Oh, I love Mandarin.
sum_dum_guy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what if Wii sounds like a word for piss; so what if we Nintendo fans will probably be known as "Wii-ners"; so what if "N Wii" resembles the word "ennui"; so what if the name also sounds like the French word "oui" (which, in American, means "freedom yes"); so what if Nintendo's apparent slogan "its not about you or me, its about Wii" made me vomit a little in my mouth; so what if in any discussion on video games, we'd be incessantly mocked, dismissed, and told to go pway with our wee widdle Wii-Wiis; so what if...

*sigh*

I'm just depressing myself now.

Anyways, how I feel about the new name was pretty much summed up by Tycho:
Tycho wrote:
I'm aware that some people like it, or in any event they don't hate it. I am not those people, but I think that I can live in peace with them as long as they do not try and honestly suggest that the Goddamn name is emblematic of togetherness. What makes me mad isn't that Nintendo has chosen a name based on bizarre, interstellar philsophy. It's that they chose a name that was and is so readily used to obscure and discredit the imaginative power of the system.

Here's hoping Nintendo makes it harder to make fun of them by producing some truly mind blowing games, else the only reason I'd be buying their system is for that vibrator they've cleverly disguised as a controller... well, that and zelda.
The Eggplant

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's in a name? that which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet;
Jacob Anderson

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I already said that Check the Blog.

Anywho, the inclusive conotation of Wii is probably the big kicker. It will be more valid than Xbox 360's "It's fun to play together". I did love the "It's good to touch" campaign, and the DS is totally kicking the PSP's ass. I just see a whole series of comercials featuring Queen. "Wii are the champions" and the whole "Wii will rock you" like brooke hinted to on the blog. Queen rocks, and perhaps the whole retro-cheesy thing will work for them, but we shall have to wait for PlayStation to make their move. *cue imperial march music* Console Wars, The N-pire strikes back.
Zeek

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigjact wrote:
and the DS is totally kicking the PSP's ass.

Have you actually looked at US sales figures? It's within under 100,000 units sales difference, and PSP has been out for a shorter time, is currently selling more per month than DS by a bit.

Of course, GBA outsells them both by a longshot still. Huh.
lazy_dum_guy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Eggplant wrote:
What's in a name? that which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet;

True, true. Since names don't really matter, I think I'll name my son Penis Penisson. I'm sure people won't make fun of him once I quote Shakespeare to them.
Jacob Anderson

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeek wrote:
bigjact wrote:
and the DS is totally kicking the PSP's ass.

Have you actually looked at US sales figures? It's within under 100,000 units sales difference, and PSP has been out for a shorter time, is currently selling more per month than DS by a bit.

Of course, GBA outsells them both by a longshot still. Huh.

Sorry, I guess my info was not up to date. It doesn't suprise me that GBA is whooping behind.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DS sales are down most likely because people are now waiting for the DS lite to come out. It looks damn sexy. Also, PSP sales are probably up because of the false perception of a price drop, when all they did was take the crap out of the "value" pack. Of course, DS is still winning on a worldwide scale. I may be a Nintendo 'fanboy', but even I'm surprised at the success at the DS.
optimisticlimbo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ This is why I shouldn't post from work, I never remember to log in.
Vertigo21

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The funny thing is, the DS has less letters, and more syllables.
el chapulin colorado

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any word on what the Japanese reaction to the new name has been?
Nabothi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't make fun of Dutch guys!

Anyway, I'm a major Nintendo fan and upon hearing Wii I almost wanted to cry. But the game has grown on me and I might even start to like it. The logo looks pretty cool, it still feels strange to pronounce it though.

But on online retailer sites, Wii is definitely going to stand out between PS3 and XBox360. I can only hope the Wii Wiill sell Miillions. Then no one Wiill care about the name anymore.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
God of War

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I am the only on who never cared about the name change from the beginning. I don't really think anything of it. I would have liked the name Revolution as the title, but when I heard the new name, I wasn't exactly crying my eyes out over it. I did nothing, actually. I thought about it for a few seconds then went on with my life. I neither love it, nor hate it.

I only look forward to when the system will be released.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The DS is destroying PSP in Japan...

And that's where Wii will establish its stronghold first, too.

Yamauchi has always wanted to 'retake his territory' from Sony.

It's all about revenge with those damn samurai families

b
Not just another star
It is Me
It is You
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Broken Saints Forum Index -> What Would You Give...to Know the Truth? All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: