Broken Saints Forum Index Broken Saints
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reflections on LOMALAGI: Chapter 8 Discussion Thread

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Broken Saints Forum Index -> We Haven't Slept in Lifetimes...and our 1000 Eyes are Burning.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bs

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:33 am    Post subject: Reflections on LOMALAGI: Chapter 8 Discussion Thread Reply with quote

Time for Fijian history!

Time to meet the superhuman white dude!

Time for creepy dreams and sad goodbyes!

Yap 'til you're blue, people

b
Not just another star
It is Me
It is You
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Guppy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright how many LOVE the DVD version of this?
I mean this was worth the 40 bucks I would have paid 40 bucks just for this chapter... I mean the improvements WERE huge compared to the original flash... the effects, the "graphics" in the dream sequence.

I mean I blew it over in the original as a Shan chappy... but this really does Janyse VM did ultimate justice I mean the elements of it she was expected to hit she hit dead on... I havent had time to rewatch it but just this was a visual and audio masterpiece... this chapter after the DVD improvements became one of my top three favorite chapters.

Also Brooke as Gabe?!? Who saw that coming..? Man I am kinda bummed out we would have to use the flash version for the musical but yeah, after I rewatch it I will add more storyline wise...
Rexfelum

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guppy wrote:
Also Brooke as Gabe?!? Who saw that coming..?

Hey, the zealot plays the zealot! (Cough benefit-concerts-always-look-like-protest-rallies cough.)

Guppy wrote:
Alright how many LOVE the DVD version of this?
I mean this was worth the 40 bucks I would have paid 40 bucks just for this chapter... I mean the improvements WERE huge compared to the original flash... the effects, the "graphics" in the dream sequence.

I loved the original. Falls into a dream/fantasy, here and in Chapter 16, were some of the best moments in the series. Just the feeling of "Oh, great. This is a creepy, metaphysical story already . . . and now the creators have even more free reign to mess with reality. Great." Plus, the fact that it was prefaced with "the wisdom that comes in sleep" made it, you know, kinda obvious that you'd better be paying darned good attention or you were gonna miss out on something.

People keep complaining that the story (in total, not just this Chapter) was "slow to start." I'm not sure why. If one does not even know what pieces are on the board, where does one begin to play?

--Rexfelum
Guppy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay I agree with that point that the original is better with chapter 16 (too bad they couldn't updated that ) but honestly I think this chapter really showed off the development and whats newer than new... also this chapter matched the voice actors and made them alive. However there was the art dip for those three chapters... yeah.. I dunno I just didnt like the color scheme choices of the original one reminds me of the houses of miami. also the water wavy effect they were trying to do didnt quite work out for me.

Well thats the problem I guess people try to at least get one or two characters and follow them along and if they didnt get or care whats going on with one (most of the shan dialogue downers) they realize by the end there is something that they missed hence the whole "eat my hat" scenario.
The Eggplant

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another chapter that I really liked.

The opening quote (from Shakespeare's "Hamlet") is quite appropriate.

You can definitely feel the tension between the natives and the outsiders. The music really did this one for me. There's just a strong tribal sense from the music up until Gabriel passes the test. When he speaks, when Shandala makes her choice, the music switches. Those three chords -- so short and simple, yet so creepy and chilling. You can tell that something is amidst.

One of the best images in the whole series is the dream sequence. Good stuff. I don't know how else to describe it, but it certainly stuck out in my mind.

My favorite part of Chapter 8 is the end -- the music that plays when Shandala leaves with Gabriel. It has a very familial feeling to it, happy, full of love.

Heaven.
Mooshou

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*cracks her knuckles and gets comfy in her chair*..

Okay. So here's where I became HOOKED into this series. Literally speaking, I didn't want to ever tear myself away because I was kept on edge, wanting to see more of Shandala's path and how she'd fit into the whole awesome foursome of our story here. Now, mind you I saw the whole series online here, not via DVD, except for a few chapters here and there.. and everyone should know by now that I'm not a fan of the voices (still love Brooke and Co more than they'll ever know though ^_~), and I'm not going to sit here and kiss butt about Gabe's voice (no offense love). But I have to agree.. you see and feel the tension between the two cultures, between three cultures in fact... Which was obvious that there'd be such, due to the inevitable differences between cultural groups... And the taboo associated.

One thing that I loved the most about this chapter was the dedication for Shan, from everyone, especially her brother (adopted but still) Tui. And from this chapter I began to "try" to think ahead.. Gabe seemed suspicious to me from the start, and rightly so.

I'd write more but really, I'm being distracted here left and right, so I'll leave it up to the others to add their thoughts or tidbits.

My favorite chapter is 22, so you'll get the "full" report from me then. ^_^

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not to far and I don't know what Gabe ends up doing but yeah getting naked and having a spear pass through his hand seemed like more than dedication.
Matthew

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you dont know but...lets just say gabriel is very,VERY dedicated.
Mooshou

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SHHH DON'T TELL 'EM ANYTHING!!
Guppy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah eggplant was supposed to post the spoiler and DVD pics!
XuShenLi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was pretty much supporting Gabriel at that time, thinking "don't be hatin' on the guy!"
bs

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn skippy!!!

b
Not just another star
It is Me
It is You
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Rexfelum

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

. . . You know, these threads are really nice to have around. That way, when one silly little idea jostles in my brain, I can post it in one of these without having to start a new thread and look like I'm making a huge deal. Handy.

Anyway.

Remember when The Couch Guy suggested that the "love and peace and make it all better" beam may influence people, but does not control their mind? The idea being that, in the same way the main characters choose to abandon the entire storyline in Chapter 21 after witnessing all the horror, people are still free to choose what they want to do after witnessing all the joy.

Well, when Chief Tui declares that we will hear Gabriel's "truth" after he walks the path of thorns (read: fire) and is judged in a spiritual manner, the screen goes black on the words "you are free to choose." The whole scene is devoted to building up to those words. Very interesting.

--Rexfelum
Guppy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Notice this is one where you blast your system
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Broken Saints Forum Index -> We Haven't Slept in Lifetimes...and our 1000 Eyes are Burning. All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: