Broken Saints Forum Index Broken Saints
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CHAPTER 20 Discussion - Reflections on INSIDE!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Broken Saints Forum Index -> We Haven't Slept in Lifetimes...and our 1000 Eyes are Burning.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darius

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've started going through the entire series once more, as I do once a year to keep it fresh in my mind. You'd have thought that after a couple years of this and 4 full-viewings, the effect would have worn off.

It hasn't.

I just got through Chapter 20 again and the after-effects are still coursing through me. The last act of it is one of the most beautiful in the series, second only to the broadcast itself.

The last five minutes of Act V, staring when Song for Athene starts playing, made my body numb in its brilliance. All the dialogue fits in ways in a manner which I can count on one hand how many times I've seen similar work. The visuals are pristine and transcendant, complementing the music and words and enhancing them.

The whole thing is inspired and that is the very least thing I can say right now.

Brooke, if you happen to be at CC tomorrow or Sunday, tell me the time and place so I can go in, shake your hand, and thank you for providing this monumental experience to myself and others.

Day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday a deer, and today, you.
Rexfelum

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darius wrote:
complementing

And I'd just like to compliment you on actually knowing how to use the word "complement." You have no idea the relief I feel at not being filled with the urge to throttle you.

--Rexfelum
Darius

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um...so I should be happy you're not going to throttle me?

Also, in exactly what context does what you said make sense?

Rexfelum

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darius wrote:
Also, in exactly what context does what you said make sense?

Hmm? I thought I made it rather clear with my inclusion of the word "compliment," the complement to your "complement." The "context in which it makes sense" is the context of a thousand people who don't know when to use "i" and "e." I gave you the alternative so you could see the vowel yourself, in case you might miss it. What else could I mean?

--Rexfelum
Darius

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get the use of the whole compliment/complement thing. That's what's confusing. Where in my original post did that word's grammar ever come up? I never even used it.

I'm confused.

Guppy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well don't they mean something completely different?
Darius

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh wait. Stupid me. I just finally realized what Rex was talking about after rereading my post for the dozenth time. Can't believe I didn't notice that earlier.

Guppy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It happens to the best of us. *pat pat* offers tea *^__^*
Darius

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*humble accepts*

Huh. Funny way to spend post #100. Ah well, tea is good.

*sips*

Guppy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't spend it any other way, but then again I am nearing 8000 as we speak. Pssha.
Darius

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep it up; at this rate, you'll get there in no time

Sill, I can't believe some of the high post counts here. The largest I've ever gotten on a forum was around 300 and this is ....my third highest of all the forums I go to.

Guppy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been to forums where some people already have 50,000 posts and they do not type one liners but essays... I do not know how they do it.

Then again most of those were on theory.. or on studies of social subgroups. Long winded folks.

We should get back to the topic before Rexy gets antsy... I still jump during the intro of 20 and also I think the worst "spoilers" in the commentary was in this chapter... they should have a warning on this one for sure: DO NOT LISTEN TO COMMENTARY FOR CHAP 20 UNTIL YOU WATCH THE ENTIRE SERIES TWICE. You know I have become a stronger Raimi fan revisiting the series eight times over but his act was the strongest in emotions for me anyway when i first saw it I was a Kami fan in the beginning, then an Oran fan at the end, then I appreciated Shan in the first DVD release cause the voice made her character( I do not care what others say), and now I am diggin Raimi... I guess you go in phases.
Darius

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The voice-tracks are good and all, but from watching the series twice with them and twice without, I can honestly say I prefer no voices.

I don't know exactly why, but as good as they are, the voices detract something from the experience for me. The "chill-down-my-spine" moments, such as those in Chapters 20 and 24, are greatly reduced in their effect.

I think it's because the music draws me in that much more to the series and the voices interfere with that just enough to lessen my overall enjoyment.

Eh, to each his own, I suppose.

Rexfelum

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guppy wrote:
We should get back to the topic before Rexy gets antsy...

Are you proposing that I shall be COVERED WITH ANTS???

--Rexfelum
unavoidable

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darius, I agree with you totally. The voices, not that I'm dissing the quality of the voice-acting by any means, really took something away from it. I think there's a kind of 'natural voice' to chapter 20, it's like the spirit of the series is speaking to you or something like that.
Guppy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rexfelum wrote:
Guppy wrote:
We should get back to the topic before Rexy gets antsy...

Are you proposing that I shall be COVERED WITH ANTS???

--Rexfelum

Chocolate covered even.
EyesUnclouded

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it depends somewhat on how relaxed the partaker wants to be, and I'm sure it verries from episode to episode and from person to person depending on sensory integration mood and readiness to absorb it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Broken Saints Forum Index -> We Haven't Slept in Lifetimes...and our 1000 Eyes are Burning. All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: