Broken Saints Forum Index Broken Saints
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What do you see in Broken Saints?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Broken Saints Forum Index -> We Haven't Slept in Lifetimes...and our 1000 Eyes are Burning.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dee Funked

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:53 pm    Post subject: What do you see in Broken Saints? Reply with quote

With a background in studying literature, I couldn't help but appreciate the literary aspects of Broken Saints (the carried puns, recurring motifs, and careful choice of dialect, to name a few.) It was truly what pulled me into the story from that immediate "I dream of a world..." and on.

But I began thinking, is this only because I have a literary disposition? Does a graphic artist marvel at the visual beauty of Broken Saints? Does a technological... technologist grin at the seamlessness of the Flash work?

I wonder.

So tell me... what, exactly, is it that you see in Broken Saints?
Jacob Anderson

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The overall religious overtones

Seriously, what really drew me in was the music and how well it worked with the story. Music has been my passion since I was very young. When I first found BS I had just begun to get into a lot more anime and manga. I guess a lot of things really drew me in.
Guppy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see self discovery, struggle, and improvement. The constant question in all aspects of Broken Saints. Collapse Rise.
unavoidable

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kind of the same way as BJ, although to be honest, I was drawn in because I saw it linked on a MystWorlds forums' user's signature, I clicked on it and the flash intro scared the living crap out of me. Then the jazzy-type music started on the main page, and my mind was just blown. So I started reading into it, watched the first chapter right then and there, and I. Was. HOOOKED.

The second part, as the story really began to develop, was the language that they used. Watching Broken Saints is like experiencing everything in popular culture to the Nth degree, combining that with a heavy overdose of philosophical overtones, undertones, and everything in between. Finally, add in a creepy horror-story main theme, and add some very touching elements to it (watching Chapter 12, the first part of Act 3, always makes me cry), wrapping the whole thing up with spiritual guidance and lessoning (is that a word?), and you've got something that has never before or since made me feel precisely the way that Broken Saints makes me feel.

I guess it was that feeling that really drew me in.
Zenphobia

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being a literature and art person, I really enjoyed the combination of images and words and how well they worked together. The style definitely hooked me.

-Rickson Gracie
Couch Guy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be frank, in the beginning, it was the Flash work. At the time, I was looking through various ways the medium was being used, and found Broken Saints through the Newgrounds portal. Flash at that time was being used for all sorts of things - web interfaces, product showcasing, banner advertising, and short serial animation (as well as a disparagingly large number of dress-up anime games, which I can only assume the purpose of was to see naked cartoons...)
I realize now that Broken Saints was probably not the first to use shockwave as a vehicle for a large-scale project, but it was the first I'd come across. And, in my infantile eye, it was revolutionary. I'd never seen so many of the emerging conventions of the medium tossed aside. The animation wasn't animated, the dialogue wasn't spoken, and more detail went into cinematography than flashy effects. It was, for me, like what it must have been like to see the first truly inspired uses of motion picture around the turn of the last century (an interesting, if anecdotal, little bit of synchronicity).
And the best part of it, to me, was that it was just three guys in a basement. (Okay, I don't really know if they were in a basement, and I know it was more than three guys, with T-squared and the GQ QG, but I like to think of it that way.) This might sound rather shallow in the midst of all these posts about the world-spanning themes, the inneundos of literature, the depths of spirituality, but the basic, trite, fact is, I didn't keep coming back to watch each new episode for those things. I enjoyed them, and I contemplated them and debated them, the way one does any good book or movie or piece of music or art - but that's not why I appreciated the series.
It's the very simple reason why anything should first and foremost be appreciated - it was done. Over weeks that turned to months that turned to years. It was done by three guys in a basement.
'Flying Above Everything' - Armor For Sleep
Rexfelum

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pick one of the two following replies:

A. See, that's how you know it's a good thread: it gets the Couch being all poetic.

B. See, that's how you know it's a good story: it got the Couch being all poetic.

More thorough reply to come later.

--Rexfelum
Rexfelum

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dee Funked wrote:
So tell me... what, exactly, is it that you see in Broken Saints?

And how many times, exactly, have I answered this question?

My experience of Broken Saints, being a multifaceted thing, has been multifaceted. Putting individual labels out is very difficult, and by now, for me, risks making things repetitive.

For example, I first arrived on this site and saw this:

What did I see? The emotion; the detailed art on black; the particular artistic decision to insert streaks; the tantalizing hint of a story.

Then I saw this:

What did I see? A particular style of art I hadn't often seen; an island which clearly had some story; a worrisome eye.

Then I watched

unavoidable wrote:
the flash intro

and saw terror; fantastic animation; the promise of a truth; and at long last, another good story to read.

Then I watched the trailer, and saw terror; fantastic animation; the promise of a truth; and at long last, another good story to read.

Then I watched the words

Dee Funked wrote:
"I dream"

transform from basic "real-world text" with capital and lowercase letters, into "storybook text" with all-capital font, and I saw I was in a story.

So what do I see, you ask?

--Rexfelum
bs

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very nice thread to come home to

Not just another star
It is Me
It is You
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Elemiah

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I was an incredibly late comer to the series. I think the first DVD was put out (my cousin, you may know as Shortbus42, got it not too long ago) before I even knew about it. I was about to watch another episode of Xin on newgrounds and found the whole series right there.
Truth be told, it probably took me a couple of chapters (2 was, and still is [next to the part of the series where the homeless preacher brings Kami to the Place of Green...WHAT CHAPTER WAS THAT IN-MUST WATCH!!] one of my favorites) to really get into it.
But to break it down, I'd say the characters. You had the cocky, prickish hacker. You had the Iraqi freedom fighter along with the mysterious monk. Not to mention that touching little orphan.
It just worked(works), homies.
Vertigo21

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRUTH.
Dee Funked

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vertigo21 wrote:
TRUTH.

I was afriad I'd get an answer like this. At least it wasn't "everything." My point originally was that I want to know what aspects of the storytelling process caught you and wouldn't let you go. That was my point in asking whether or not I simply had a literary disposition.

I like the varying opinions here. I think that's what makes Broken Saints so interesting is that it combines modern devices of storytelling with older forms, and presents it through a medium that is unique to our age.
Vergessen Held

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love social commentary. It's rather hard for me to write stories of my own without inserting some personal outlook on the way American society (and human society in general) works, both its achievements and its problems. Whether it's what Brooke intended or not, Broken Saints got me thinking more often about the way our economic and political systems work, to keep up with advancements in different fields of science or the events in other countries. Until I entered high school, I was pretty much ignorant of everything that happened. I couldn't talk about my opinions on issues because I didn't know they existed. Since I'm still just a kid, Broken Saints is one of the few stories that has really made me think about things in life.

Aside from trying to provide some deeper meaning which may or may not just be me trying to sound like I know what I'm talking about, Broken Saints is one of only a handful of fictional pieces that is able to successfully combine a number of different ideas and medias without trying to be needlessly flashy in any department. There are so many different films, comic books, books, etc that rely on some glitzy little aspect as a sort of clutch to make up for lacking in something else that is just as important. Broken Saints is a well-performed balancing act that sucks you into its creepy atmosphere.

That's my opinion, anyway. Do I make sense?
bs

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally
Not just another star
It is Me
It is You
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Midnight Writer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the beauty of art. In whatever form it takes. You can put a thousand people in a room and show them all the same piece of art and ask them what it means. You'd get a thousand different answers.

I was also late coming into Broken Saints. It was already out on the first release dvd before I'd even heard of it. The president of our anime club had bought it after watching the flash while over in Iraq. He brought the series to the clubs attention and motioned that we watch it. It sparked a HUGE debate over whether or not it could be considered anime since it wasn't made in Japan (ah, debate! ya gotta love it!). We ended up watching it anyways. ^_^

The begining was a little slow for me, and being in a social setting with people proned to talking through the show made it a little difficult to keep my attention focused, but what did keep my eyes on the screen was the quotes. I love quotes. I do have an English degree afterall. Give me something to mull over in my head for awhile and I'm satisfied. That kept me watching, but what got me hooked?

Raimi

The best stories for me are those with fantastic characters. Ones you can relate to, or ones that make you wish you could meet them in real life. I could see myself in Raimi. Every aspect of the character. From personality down to his personal situation (minus the knowledge surge of course lol). I've been in a few job situations where I've known that there was more going on than people realized. And I've dug deeper. Into computer files. Into storage files. Into old employees' stories. And I've seen repercussions. I tried to continue to pursue things, but was never able to accomplish what I needed before those repersussions fell on me.

Raimi was able to continue. He found a team that wasn't afraid to pursue the truth. He could push forward. And I had to know what would happen. Is there a way to get past the corruption? Is there a way to stop the unjustified pain? Is there obtainable truth? And what is its cost?

That is what kept me watching. That is what sucked me in. And that is why I am still here.

And I thank b for providing us with such a story.

(Man, I am glad I came across this thread today. I needed to be reminded of this. Lost my job Tuesday for stupid reasons. So far in debt right now that I have no idea what I'm gonna do. But this put me in a good mood. ^_^)

Drink Raimi Coke!
"Something blasphemous, yet seductive."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Bearses

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Midnight Writer wrote:
So far in debt right now that I have no idea what I'm gonna do.

ditto.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked the criptic story telling ant the way that you have no idea what is going on until the end (the sad end i might add).
Infinite Blue, Quack M.D.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best thing about Broken Saints, to me, is that I can rewatch the series over and over again, and I'll always find something that I've missed before.

Ze sveedish chef: eenfuneet bluoo ees ell ebuoot keyewtneuoeuoeus BORK BORK BORK!!!
Ange

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was a 13 year old girl, it served as a reminder to think of others in life, and that life extends far beyond my hometown, that there are things happening that I am not aware of and that I should look for them. The massive amount of thought put into the entire series really stimulated me and for quite a while kept me going.

At nearly 20, it still has the same impact.
Nabothi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool thread. Bit late to the party... but whatever.

I see a lot of things in Broken Saints. The first thing that pulled me in was probably the original way of delivering a story. The different characters intrigued me, I was particularly fond of Raimi right from the start. And as the story continued it always brought something new to the table. My frothing demand for the next chapter increased with every chapter released.

Because of the medium Broken Saints used they were able to focus on all the aspects of the story they wanted to cover. I loved the broad scope of the series covering politics, religion, science, friendship, love... etc. etc.

And the entire build-up towards the climactic ending was a sheer joy to experience. I've been following the series ever IGN linked to the site. I still remember sitting in my room with the lights turned off and my headset on waiting for the next act to load.

I see in Broken Saints a lot of things that came together perfectly. Animation, written dialogue, music, incredible story... and three guys that poured their heart and soul into this project.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Broken Saints Forum Index -> We Haven't Slept in Lifetimes...and our 1000 Eyes are Burning. All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: