Broken Saints Forum Index Broken Saints
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Republicans use abortion ads to try to win minority voters

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Broken Saints Forum Index -> You Cannot Hurt Us...for We Believe.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Caroljoy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:51 pm    Post subject: Republicans use abortion ads to try to win minority voters Reply with quote

Republican Group Chides Democrats With Abortion Ads: Aim Is To Win Minority Voters, But Democrats Cry Foul

Josh Gerstein of the New York Sun wrote:
A little-known Republican group that claims to have swayed the 2004 presidential election with provocative radio advertising aimed at black and Hispanic audiences is spending nearly $1 million this year to boost the GOP's chances of holding on to a majority in Congress.

The group, America's Pac, began running ads last month in more than two dozen congressional districts.The campaign discusses issues ranging from warrantless wiretapping to school choice, but the most inflammatory spots pertain to abortion.

"Black babies are terminated at triple the rate of white babies," a female announcer in one of the ads says, as rain, thunder, and a crying infant are heard in the background. "The Democratic Party supports these abortion laws that are decimating our people, but the individual's right to life is protected in the Republican platform. Democrats say they want our vote.Why don't they want our lives?"

This makes no sense. Why does it matter what race the people who get abortions are?

According to this article the ads are working on some people in the communities they are aimed at. Can't these people see that abortion isn't a conspiracy against their race, but a choice that individual women are making?

Perhaps they would have more of a point if they said that abortion clinics are often located in poor neighboorhods with high minority populations. But wait, they are there because they provide cheap or free health care to a population that often can't afford regular health care.

EDIT: This was before the last election, so I guess it didn't work all that well, since the Democrats took control of the House and Senate.
Elemiah

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha anybody who doesn't understand that they're telling them their OWN race, not the Democratic Party, is aborting their children, deserves to be tricked into voting Republican.
Rexfelum

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, yeah, I'm slow. I already got why the above was offensive, but I didn't realize the sheer depths of it. The only actual evidence in the quoted commercial--i.e., the triple rate--is a reason why these people would want to vote FOR Democrats. Obviously, it's what they want! So they should vote FOR it!

Yeah, I'm slow. But at least I think I've avoided being tricked by any such twerps before. To be safe, I may have to scour my brains . . .

--Rexfelum
Kolian

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next up for the Republicans is banning homelessness. As well as inflation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Broken Saints Forum Index -> You Cannot Hurt Us...for We Believe. All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: