Broken Saints Forum Index Broken Saints
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Satellite Networ

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Broken Saints Forum Index -> We Haven't Slept in Lifetimes...and our 1000 Eyes are Burning.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matuku

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:07 pm    Post subject: The Satellite Network Reply with quote

I'm a bit confused about the satellite network and was wondering if anyone knew some answers or had their own theories.

Why are Prismatek involved; I understand that they are involved in the 'stratocasting' (projecting images onto the stratosphere directly) but why is this needed for the satellites? Is the image of the eye itself somehow related to the ELF signal and so it needs to be displayed to the people when they plan to affect them all?

And if it is then why do we not see it when Oran has his episode when they're testing the chip (when he's outside the Saudi Arabian Embassy)?
Rexfelum

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I think I can address this simply. There was a moment, when they were all on the Revelation and Raimi was doing his "schpiel" again, that stuck with me: Raimi saying "I believe that this represents some form of extremely low frequency message." It bugged me, because I wanted the "eye" to be a purely spiritual event, but I ultimately came to understand that the point was for it to be a techie-engineered faux-spiritual thing.

So yes, the eye is the ELF signal.

And we do see the eye when Oran is tormented. It isn't displayed continuously, but it doesn't have to be for us to understand Oran's pain. Also, we know the chip is magnifying the effects on the man anyway.

Lastly, Prismatec is important because not only are they creating the holograms for the super-duper version in the sky, but their "image decoders" are on the chips. Dunno if "image decoders" is a euphemism for "make it so very much more painful devices," of course.

--Rexfelum
Darius

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the "image decoder" decodes the data of the Eye (the signal) and that enables it to be so much stronger in chipped subjects.

Edit: Wait, I just said what Rex said. My bad.

Day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday a deer, and today, you.
Matuku

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But we don't see the eye being displayed to Oran do we? With Raimi the eye popped up on his screen (so we assume the signal was coming through the screen); for the masses it would have been projected onto the stratosphere. But where was the eye being 'projected' for Oran? Or can the satellites target individuals with the signal but to target everyone at once they need to project onto the stratosphere?
Rexfelum

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matuku wrote:
But we don't see the eye being displayed to Oran do we? With Raimi the eye popped up on his screen (so we assume the signal was coming through the screen)

Well, there are a couple things that come to mind. The first thing is that the effects on the brain are open to interpretation (as Lear says specifically in the last Chapter), so it makes sense for people to "see" all sorts of horrors (like Colonel Keene's taunt when chipping Oran that the sky would "bleed"). The second thing is that artistic creation is, well, full of interpretation, so it make sense for the creators to show us all sorts of horrible images beyond just a single "eye" graphic ten thousand times.

The eye only showed up on Raimi's screen at the very end of his freakout, but it's reasonable to presume he was scared of the rest. Likewise, the eye was shown to us hovering on the tower after Oran was walloped, but we can see that he was being fried the whole time. I think it works. Don't let me stop you from going into this more, though.

--Rexfelum
Matuku

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry I'm still a bit confused, as you said (and I agree) it seems that the eye IS the signal (as Raimi says whilst on the Revelation) so surely for them to be affected by the signal we should see the eye being displayed. Unless the signal doesn't go in through the subjects vision? In which case the signal could be focussed from a satellite above to affect one person, or a small area but would have to be projected onto the stratosphere to affect the much larger area of the whole world?
Rexfelum

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I think that what I said above about showing us what the person felt when zapped (you know, to be creative instead of just showing us the eye ad nauseum) still addresses some of your concerns. And, after all, we are shown the eye here and there to remind the audience what is at the root of the problem. But I do find this line of your interesting:

Matuku wrote:
Unless the signal doesn't go in through the subjects vision?

You know, that should be perfectly true. Different types of radiation can go straight through different objects, and part of the inspiration for this series (as mentioned by Brooke sometime) was real-world science involving bombarding the temporal lobes of the brain with the right radiation and inducing "God experiences." We see the glowing eye on the tower after Oran is zapped, so we can probably presume that the eye-and-signal had been being bombarded down on Oran the whole time. What do you think?

Specifically seeing the eye, of course, causes plenty of issues, such as reminding Kamimura of past events and suchlike.

--Rexfelum
Matuku

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha! Of course, he was in view of the tower, which is where the signal was coming from! And, due to the amplification by the chip, the signal could be weak enough to not affect others nearby!

One more thing though, what was Shandala's place within the network; I know she was an empath but was she directly controlling the network, and if so why her and not just doing it automated?
Rexfelum

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hrm. Well, with the way you phrased it, you just had a brief brain freeze for one part of your question. Shandala's role was to broadcast the entire world's pain back to it, as the climax to the presentation (when the eclipse was complete).

For another part, there's a second important detail about the chips. Remember the discussion of "neural transistors," that "use actual human brain cells to divide information into ones and zeroes." Shandalas neurons (limbic ones, no less) were cloned into every chip, which was a part of getting people to feel exactly what she felt.

And, well, we saw how the world's pain tore Raimi apart, and he wasn't even having his brains go through preliminary burning unlike the people who were chipped. Ick . . . the more I analyze this, the worse it all seems. The creators came up with something horrible.

--Rexfelum
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Broken Saints Forum Index -> We Haven't Slept in Lifetimes...and our 1000 Eyes are Burning. All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: