Broken Saints Forum Index Broken Saints
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wierd, Odd Cinematic Adventures: List your Recommendations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Broken Saints Forum Index -> What Would You Give...to Know the Truth?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guppy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That movie was good and you are a quotable guy it should be in your job description
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Elemiah

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: A FILM TO JUST SEE AND LOVE: We Are The Strange Reply with quote

I have officially witnessed the strangest, and somehow one of the most beautiful films ever:
[url]We Are The Strange.[/url]
There's really no way to describe this film. It's a strange mix of 3D anime, stop motion animation and 8-bit figures to create a bizarre, engrossing, and emotional ride through a twisted world that honestly...is pretty damn weird.
Please don't make it let you think it's a simply Burton-esque horror film. It's so much more. It's beyond what Burton's imagination could ever pull out of the ether. It's a breathtaking, awe-inspiring romp through parts uncharted.
One thing to note, this films is so high definition, it looks like HD On Crack+1,000,000. Fo rizzle.

Here's some trailers and the official website (where you can request a screening in your town):
http://www.wearethestrange.com/index.html
http://youtube.com/watch?v=6qCSahatkbk
http://youtube.com/watch?v=vbyqSDYV8Og
sum_dum_guy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of Burton-esque...

Pushing Daisies

Weird? Check.
Odd? Check (though that's a bit redundant, I mean, can something be weird and not be odd? Unless by 'odd', you mean not 'even', but that would just be weird).
Cinematic? Yup.
Adventures? Sure, its got those too.

If you didn't already know, its a tv series about a guy who can bring people back to life just by touching them, but if he touches them again then they die, and if he lets them live for more than a minute, someone else has to die in their place. I always feel a bit ridiculous when I try to explain the premise. Anyways, its got death, undeath, murder mysteries, pies... technically dark material, but its wrapped in a package that makes it all extremely cute, charming, and almost sickeningly sweet.

Is it the type of show that'll make you think? Not really. But its fun and has SDG's Grope of Approval.

If you wanna watch, all the episodes are currently available on ABC's website.
Rexfelum

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa whoa whoa. Pie?

--Rexfelum
Guppy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the 14th I will be creamin my pants-- I have read the presequel series... I am pumped.
Guppy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Southland Tales was as I expected awesome.. and not as messy as critics made it seem... just because they didnt read the comics they hate hate hate

"I am a pimp, and pimps don't commit suicide"
Guppy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On DVD/TV :

Southland tales yes I said it again to count how many times darko was plugged. Its what lies in the background I think went a lot of thought to props and set design. Soundtrack has gems too.

Into the wild. The dialogue is great especially with himself

Beyond the valley of the dolls. 60s. Cool old ladyin the orange.

Female troubles. Ferg queen serial killer. Good recommendation for a sploitation night.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Guppy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another update.

Tarsem's The Fall, delicious eye candy.

The Tracey Fragments. Very Angsty. Has potential to be the longest ytmnd oh and the movie is so fragmented you ask, does it blend. The soundtrack is an ear orgasm for Broken Social Scene Fans.
Darius

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunshine

Danny Boyle keeps the cinematics and visuals rolling once again, to great effect. It's pretty serious sci-fi, but the last 30 minutes were so intense I was enthralled for days before I was able to get it out of my head.

Also, the finale is very reminiscent of the Fountain.

Speaking of The Fountain, I should probably add that since I haven't posted since mid-last-year. We all know that Brooke plugged for it around the time of it's release, but that was two years ago and I've done a bit to get into the public consciousness again, starting with friends and forums I frequent.

It IS a colossally great movie and if the last 20 minutes didn't have your eyes attached to every detail of the screen then I'll assume that your were asleep/ being assaulted.

Go watch it. NOW

What are you still doing here?

Day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday a deer, and today, you.
Saggio l'uno

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's great that the last posts before this one were all made on Sept. 11.

It makes me all nostalgic for all the 9/11 conspiracy threads on the old boards.
Rexfelum

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wrote:
unavoidable wrote:
im so vanilla.

The last person I'd heard described like that proceeded to command the dead via a severed face.

Ahh, sometimes I think I actually say things right. Nice little gem to discover upon rereading this thread.

Anyway.

I want to recommend Brick, but on the other hand I don't. Now that I've seen it, well . . . agh, it's like there are two different stories: the one you see in the trailer, and the one that's actually in the movie. The trailer tells a story that's symbolic and evocative. The movie just tells a story. The symbols vanish in short order and you're left with a standard mystery.

Sure, it's all well and good as a mystery, but I wanted something more "Wierd, Odd Cinematic Adventure"-y. Bleh.

--Rexfelum
The Eggplant

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broken Saints
Darius

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rexfelum, M.U. wrote:

I want to recommend Brick, but on the other hand I don't. Now that I've seen it, well . . . agh, it's like there are two different stories: the one you see in the trailer, and the one that's actually in the movie. The trailer tells a story that's symbolic and evocative. The movie just tells a story. The symbols vanish in short order and you're left with a standard mystery.
--Rexfelum

Funny enough, I only saw the trailer for The Fountain about 4 months after I'd first seen the movie and I was mindblown because the story the trailer tells is that much more linear and coherent than the actual movie. I'm saying that's good OR bad, given my intense love of the film, but it always puzzled me because that trailer seems to show you the plot in one light and the film presents itself in another.

Day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday a deer, and today, you.
Guppy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some Holiday inspired wierdness:

The Flaming Lips, Christmas on Mars, a freakout film I watched this thanksgiving weekend. it is a freakout rockstar homemovie.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Broken Saints Forum Index -> What Would You Give...to Know the Truth? All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: