Broken Saints Forum Index Broken Saints
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I'm pissed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Broken Saints Forum Index -> You Cannot Hurt Us...for We Believe.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emperor Xan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:00 pm    Post subject: I'm pissed Reply with quote

Last week, a classmate stated she had no idea there was a gamer underworld, her words, not mine. This week, another student wrote that she believes gamers are sociopaths. As such, I'm understandably upset. So, because none of the new media students get that games and new media go hand-in-hand or that gamers were there since the beginning, I find myself forced to correct this ignorance with all due prejudice. Here, then, is the beginning in my opening salvo:

The Digital Empire's Gamer Manifesto wrote:

You wake up and find yourself lying on the ground. The sun blinds you as you open your eyes. A bleak, cratered landscape surrounds you. Twisted wreckage assaults your senses. As you shake the fog from your head, you realize you lost the war. The terrain is virtually impassable save a gentle slope to the west.

A revolution has passed you by. You weren’t supposed to know it took place because to recognize the paradigm shift is to accept that they lost the war. What was this mysterious conflict that is pushing them to give up the ghost of their failed efforts? A true democracy coded in zeroes and ones. The very tool that has allowed for information to scream through fiber optic veins at the speed of light is what they seek to control. The uninitiated are the battleground between the willfully stupid and the awakened minority. We’ve been here since the beginning and we will be here at the end. The ruins of past myths of our purpose and psychological state have been smashed, and you, by reading this far have just been made aware that the center did not hold, it’s been all illusion to your detriment.

> Go West.

As you travel along the path in the blasted wastes, you see a mailbox. The path extends east and west.

There are signposts, and then there are events upon which the future was writ large. The letter that told you we were coming was delivered well in advance of the technology you associate with our arrival. Maybe it’s time you retrieved the newsletter mailed to you in anticipation to you joining this party of ours.

> Open mailbox.

Inside the mailbox you see a letter.

The signs have been anything but subtle that we have been here for as long as the species has existed. We have gone hand-in-hand with the development of the advances made. Each new development is subjected to our scrutiny. In order to reduce your shock and subsequent panic, we have kept the old forms intact.

> Take letter.

You retrieve the letter from the mailbox and place it in your inventory. Note: to see what possessions you are currently carrying, type ‘look inventory.’ For a list of all commands, type ‘help commands.’

> Look at letter.

This is your wake-up call. You can hit the snooze button, but eventually you have to come to. Not even Morpheus can save you from reality. Technology has been sending you the news ever since someone decided to scratch on wood and rocks, draw a line in the sand, and cast shadows against the cave wall. This is technology in its purest sense: the study of techné (art, craft, revelation). Just like language and writing have taught us something about ourselves, all forms of technology reveal a new facet of the power of humanity. Technology has also led to the development and maintenance of that most sacred of locations: the play space. Here, we are free to explore the limits of our own existence and the potential integration of seemingly disparate fields of knowledge.

I couldn't preserve the typeface, so I used italics for this post.

Shit man, I can barely make a peanut butter and jelly sandwhich. I can't make a watch.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rexfelum

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My reaction here is complicated. First:

Emperor Xan wrote:
This week, another student wrote that she believes gamers are sociopaths.

Statements like this tend to bother me, because they're blatantly illogical and unhealthy to make. In the same breath as the statement of belief, the person basically admits that the belief is wrong: it is an insult, and it is a superlative, and so five minutes of calm discussion would get it to the state of "well, sure, there are probably one or two people on the planet who aren't sociopaths" and maybe even "well, sure, I could have used a better word than 'sociopath.'" It cannot hold as-is in a mature view of the world, and this is even beyond the question of understanding actual facts (which would tear down the belief yet further).

So, I'm bothered, and I would like it if I had the opportunity to help people round out their beliefs. Sorry that you have to deal with it, and I hope it works out.

Next:

> Go West.

I think that this is a fascinating way to proceed with an essay. Go for it. It's very clever.

But lastly:

A revolution has passed you by. You weren’t supposed to know it took place because to recognize the paradigm shift is to accept that they lost the war. What was this mysterious conflict that is pushing them to give up the ghost of their failed efforts? A true democracy coded in zeroes and ones. The very tool that has allowed for information to scream through fiber optic veins at the speed of light is what they seek to control. The uninitiated are the battleground between the willfully stupid and the awakened minority. We’ve been here since the beginning and we will be here at the end. The ruins of past myths of our purpose and psychological state have been smashed, and you, by reading this far have just been made aware that the center did not hold, it’s been all illusion to your detriment.

The actual content of your essay lost me. This first paragraph here is, I feel, the hardest to grasp. Who are "you," "they," and "we"? This is very problematic. For example, your second sentence shifts from the pronoun "you" to the pronoun "they," and I can't tell if 1) this is a grammatical error, and you are actually talking about "their" discomfort the whole time, or 2) you are trying to tell me that I am the one uncomfortable about "them." Then, towards the end, you switch from "they" to "we." Are these all intended shifts? Because you are a writer, in the end I must assume so. But do these three groups correspond to the "uninitiated," "willfully stupid," and "awakened minority"? Is that even the right question to ask?

--Rexfelum
Emperor Xan

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All in due time, Rex, all in due time. You aren't wrong in pointing out the categorical collapse of shift in person, but why it's there comes later in the piece. Sorry, I'm writing it as I get time. The first part is less academic for the shock value. My sources and the like come later.

Shit man, I can barely make a peanut butter and jelly sandwhich. I can't make a watch.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Broken Saints Forum Index -> You Cannot Hurt Us...for We Believe. All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: