Broken Saints Forum Index Broken Saints
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Important Question b

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Broken Saints Forum Index -> You Cannot Hurt Us...for We Believe.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LadyGodai

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Important Question b Reply with quote

I've been wanting to write my own version of vampire stories and yet I have someone in my life beginning me to write one with big women instead of a fit and altheletic chicks. Problem is, I don't feel like doing it. I don't think anyone wants to see a plus sized woman in television. If that were the case, we would have something like that a long time ago.

What do people prefer these days?
Rexfelum

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't that the eternal question? Actually, take anything and end it with "these days?" and you get an eternal question.

But yeah, you know that sexism and gender roles and suchlike are difficult things to change. They DO change; just look at all those body type comparisons of Marilyn Monroe to [insert popular female singer of today]. And you are also probably aware how places/organizations/journals/talk show personalities make national headlines when they include "plus size" people, so change IS happening--but since these moments make national headlines, you can tell the audience still finds it odd.

Isn't society charming?

You can do whatever you want, so long as you do it with deliberation. This is the world into which you shout. Some people will be ready for it, some will be ready with the proper spin, and some will be jerks no matter what you say.

Though I might note one other thing: you said "fit and athletic." Athletic? That's not the sexist view. Athletic means EW THAT'S A WOMAN WITH MUSCLES EW. Granted, I've never met anyone who was such a drop-dead monstrosity as to say those words, but you get my point: the sexist comparison is thin vs. thick, not muscled vs. unmuscled.

--Rexfelum
LadyGodai

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem was, I was pissed off at this one guy for trying to convince me to write something with fat people (I am fat, of course, and he loves me for myself and my body). Truth is, I would have done something like that but I was focused on doing something with fit people first. Something like a black guy and a white woman. But he kept saying "C'mon, don't do that!" It automatically gave me the idea that he wasn't supportive of my goals. So I pretty much rebelled against him and we argued. Then he reminded that the stories I write can be anywhere, either in the US or in a fantasy setting. Of course, one other person wants it in the US and my dear friend is telling him to back off.
Rexfelum

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So . . . you're being yanked around and told what to do without justification? Not a very nice habit.

Of course, I don't know enough to see if there are extenuating circumstances. But it sounds like the your situation is clear: there's nothing of significance in the way between you and your writing.

--Rexfelum
Jacob Anderson

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do like vampire novels, Vampire Hunter D and the Anne Rice series for example, and I am also *cough* a larger person. Even considering that, I find that a person of larger build doesn't seem to fit well into the sort of mold (figuratively as well as literally) most vampires do.

Of course I believe vampire literature truly began with Dracula. I see vampires as being desirable, attractive, and more adhering to what society views as being "sexy" for lack of a better word. Now, there are plenty of people who find different things sexy, and there is nothing wrong with that. I could probably get into a story where there are plus sized female vampires. It seems like an interesting setup, but there is the real issue.

Is this a story about vampires or is the focus on them being big women vampires? How would that affect the direction you take the story? Is it more of a footnote or is it a focal point. Would that get in the way of the story you are trying to tell?

That's just my two cents. Either way, I do agree with Rex that you should not be yanked around. Write what YOU want to write.
Emperor Xan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People don't prefer anything other than what is presented to them. That's how we make our choices. We can't express a preference for that which we've never seen/experienced/learned about.

Shit man, I can barely make a peanut butter and jelly sandwhich. I can't make a watch.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Broken Saints Forum Index -> You Cannot Hurt Us...for We Believe. All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: