Broken Saints Forum Index Broken Saints
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Writing.... Is it wo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Broken Saints Forum Index -> You Cannot Hurt Us...for We Believe.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JasperQueen

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: Writing.... Is it worth it anymore? Reply with quote

Earlier, I dreamt of writing a novel, free of charge, for everyone to read. Now I'm not so sure if I want to write a novel, I could have, but I'm having problems.

Well, i could still read a novel at least, but my brain is not working. Should I even bother with writing anything, such as comics or novels? I can't stick to one thing, and that's a problem.

I shouldn't expect anyone to have an answer to what I'm about to ask:

Is it worth anything writing whatever I want to write?

I wanted to talk to Brooke Burgess online, but I don't see that happening at all.
Rexfelum

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The question is pretty grand: is art worth it? C. S. Lewis summed up a number of related ideas when he said "Friendship is unnecessary, like philosophy, like art . . . . It has no survival value; rather it is one of those things which give value to survival." Creating is good stuff. It's pretty hard to get paid to do it, though, so that's a different matter (the challenge of deriving "survival value" from your art).

The main thing is that it should be enjoyable for you. You and whomever you want as your target audience (if any). It's worth it if you enjoy it.

If your brain is giving you such frustration that you can't enjoy it, then do something else instead. There is literally no harm done that way (your "survival" is not harmed), and you can make progress on whatever else demands your attention these days.

--Rexfelum
JasperQueen

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Art is a form of expression. I am aware of that. I guess the question was, did I have a choice in whatever I wanted to do?

Yes.

And that choice was originally to become a novelist. But that didn't go so well because I was not sure about which type of style or plot concept to follow.

I think the problem is not the sticking with one occupation, it's the millions after millions of voices and plots in my head that don't often fit together and then some.

half of the voices are there for me, the rest are trying to ruin my passions and dreams of being a writer, which I have already chosen one occupation wherever I go with it.

And then there are the plots.

Most of them are science fiction, fantasy, and horror. Thing is, most of my concepts are not tied together in one setting.

I could have done something that would have gotten me somewhere a long time ago, if it weren't for the idea of losing my own sanity within art forms of the media, which I did back in 2006.

I had lost signs of my goals and looked away from the idea of being someone with writing script-type stories in comic book form or novel form or anime script form.

Then something, or someone, came into my life, and I wanted to get his attention. Long story short, I went through Hell because of him.

Not that I should blame him. He never did anything wrong. I just didn't know how to handle my feelings well enough. Not to mention, revealing my feelings to my family is never a good thing, especially due to being part of a now distrusting family because of my father's sins.

He cheated on my mom, and then married the woman he cheated on her with.

Then again, is there even a thing called 'sin'?

Art is my life, but so is having a love life of my own.

I want to share it with the world. I don't want to cause any suffering nor pressure on anyone. I never wanted to, in the first place.

All I really was is to express my art.

And if I have to do it for free before it sometime makes me become successful, so be it.
Rexfelum

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then it sounds like you have some understanding of your situation. Even if the situation is "blargh, all this stuff makes it nearly impossible to do work," then at least you have the meta-knowledge of that. This puts you a step ahead of many clueless people in the world.

Sorry that you had to face so many stressors to get to such a point of self-awareness, and best of luck in handling them.

--Rexfelum
JasperQueen

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Trust me, I think I might have solved my own problem.
JasperQueen

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question: should I practice writing with fan fiction?

the answer is....yep.
Emperor Xan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For one, I suggest reading large quantities of Joseph Campbell and a book called "The Writer's Journey," which sums up Campbell's monomyth structure.

Getting past that, here are a few things to keep in mind: you are always in control and have always been. The whole branch of Buddhist philosophy that tells you to let go because you have already died and do not yet realize it simply means that you have already ran your race. It's over, let go and enjoy it for what it is. Be. All else will happen as it should.

That pesky voice in your head that tells you that you suck and can't do anything about it is your own personal Cerberus standing guard over the threshold that prevents you from entering the innermost cave. Or, as Campbell says "the cave you fear to enter holds the treasure you seek." The way to overcome the scary monster that is writer's block is to realize that, like all threshold guardians, it can be defeated by distracting it. It is a puzzle that can only be solved when you shift perspectives and learn how to trick it. In effect, you have to learn to see the mountain for the molehill it really is. You have to let go and trust in the play of your imagination. Your subconscious knows better than you what you are trying to encode in the symbols. Fighting it only succeeds in blocking your efforts.

Learn to play. Free write for 15 minutes. Don't stop, just write. Don't worry about how shitty it is, it's not intended to be used, it's just a way to help open your eyes to the connection between words and how you describe things you see. This is a great exercise to do where you can observe people and nature. How does the wind sound? What do you smell? Those sorts of things. It's all a game. When you read my stories, I lie and you pretend it's real.

That all-powerful looking bully, why, he's just a frail old man behind a curtain operating a machine to make you think he's grander than he is.

Art is an act of sacrifice. You turn yourself into a mirror to show the world what it is and how it's created you even if you are unaware of that. Unless the reader is well versed in literary theory, nobody will ever know how much of yourself was sacrificed to make the art, least of all the time and agony spent over what to keep and what to cut.

Abraham's willingness to sacrifice his son is a metaphor for this. How much are you willing to risk of yourself to hear/reach a transcendent state? You won't know until you let go and try to fly. Just don't try to force a journey towards a higher state, that's why Icarus fell.

Shit man, I can barely make a peanut butter and jelly sandwhich. I can't make a watch.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Broken Saints Forum Index -> You Cannot Hurt Us...for We Believe. All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: