Broken Saints Forum Index Broken Saints
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Curtain, pulled back

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Broken Saints Forum Index -> What Would You Give...to Know the Truth?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rexfelum

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:40 pm    Post subject: Curtain, pulled back Reply with quote

If it were a few years into the past, this thread would cause riot and insurrection.

You know all those spambots? Sure you do. I've spent years deleting their posts, and when I'm not around they pollute everything. It's not terribly pleasant having to deal with it.

So awhile ago I told Brooke about one of these horrible floods and he gave me the keys to the "bs" administrator account.

This Rexfelum account is still a moderator, but I have access to the full administrator account. I've spent a long time doing mass-deletion, name banning, and IP address banning, all in the name of maintaining sanity. You might be unsurprised to know that the culprit IP addresses are all the usual ones: China, the Philippines, and everybody else who gives free reign to their domain. I've thought about universally banning some things like "Chinese Hotmail" because they are such terrible offenders, but it's just not right to single 'em out.

So anyway, there's the big news. Now comes the next part.

The old folks still post every now and then if they feel like it. No new human being has registered an account here in a long time. I'm looking at an admin feature that says "Enable account activation: None, User, Admin" which is currently set to "User."

If I set it to "None," will it shut down new account activation completely?

Should I do so?

Some among you have braved the wilds to read this post today. I ask for your input as I contemplate years upon years of spamming.

--Rexfelum
The Eggplant

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, I've been wondering about the state of the boards lately.

I hardly visit. When I do, it's usually spam. It's been 10 years now at least. That's a long time for growth and reflection, and I'm sure we've all changed.

For me personally, it's about time I moved on and let go. I'm not afraid of the board "dying" and fading into memory, because I've met a few of you offline and have cultivated some new friendships and had some fun experiences.

To me, this board was one of the first real online communities that felt like home, but it hasn't aged well like the rest of us. Rex, what you're doing isn't sustainable. There are many other outlets (and better in the technical sense) for facilitating discussion and sharing our Broken Saints experiences. Shutting down new accounts is okay with me.

Whatever you do, I believe you will make the right choice for the boards.
Guppy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with shutting new accounts down, we can always reactivate it if say a live action version ever comes to light. Or move on to a new project. I dropped by today to see if anyone created a 10yr anniversary thread but none to be found. The fb group seems to be what is active now.
Rexfelum

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Preventing new accounts would be pretty much a measure to "bottle" the forums: everything would still be here if you wanted to post, but it could just sit quietly on its own once the last lingering spambots were banned. If one of you suddenly got your account hijacked, I suppose there'd be a concern, but I think we're all quiet here on the forum front.

I still like posting here occasionally. It's akin to an online journal thing but without all the "social media." Shouting into the void, but without any advertisements on the sidebar. For all I know, some would be more likely to use it as such without the stupid spam.

There's just the qualitative difference of saying "no one new may ever post here again, unless new Broken Saints material appears." Which is . . . different from the current state by a technicality.

--Rexfelum
Rexfelum

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess what?

Rexfelum wrote:
I'm looking at an admin feature that says "Enable account activation: None, User, Admin" which is currently set to "User."

If I set it to "None," will it shut down new account activation completely?

The answer is "no." This feature is talking about whether somebody needs to confirm new account activation. Setting it to "None" means that new people (mostly spambots) don't have to go through an e-mailed activation system before using their account. Doing so is the opposite of helpful.

Other versions of forum systems like this have a "Disable registration" option in the same menu. This forum does not.

But I got Brooke's permission to "shut down" the place, so I've now done what I can. I've set it to "Admin," meaning the administrator should be the only entity capable of activating accounts. Will this result in a massive e-mail flood to Brooke? We'll find out. Or he will.

To be nice, I've also turned on options to make Captchas nastier, including noise and case sensitivity. This obviously will accomplish little, but it felt like something to do. If there continue to be problems, there are also options to hide the forums completely, or even to allow posting only by mods--and turn all of you into mods.

But hey, this is all hypothetical. I just banned some other stupid spambots; we'll see how many more come by.

--Rexfelum
DeathJester

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*sits on Gups' head for old times sake*

This spot has the best view for the spambot sacrifices.
Rexfelum

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeathJester wrote:
This spot has the best view for the spambot sacrifices.

Would anybody be interested to see what IP ranges I banned recently? Yes? No?

--Rexfelum

P.S.: Seriously, here's hoping that the button I pushed shuts off new spambots.
sim

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rexfelum wrote:
But I got Brooke's permission to "shut down" the place, so I've now done what I can. I've set it to "Admin," meaning the administrator should be the only entity capable of activating accounts. Will this result in a massive e-mail flood to Brooke? We'll find out. Or he will.

So this is why I'm getting those emails now.

I'm Ian's brother. This forum has sat on my server for years, and I haven't maintain it for some time as I did it time and time again over the years (last time was about 2008, to phpBB-2.0.23). It is always a pain to port the theme to the later phpBB releases. The bots continue to get smarter all the time, and I'm not surprised there are problems again.

Anybody want to take a stab at moving things to the latest phpBB? I have no idea what's involved this time, since it's a major version jump. We originally started out with phpBB 1, so I did do the dance before, but it has been a long time since then.
The Eggplant

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we use Discourse?

http://www.discourse.org/

That would be nice.
Rexfelum

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I could hardly believe it when I saw who posted. I'm glad to speak with you, and . . . I'm sorry about your inbox.

My interest is as shown earlier: I'd want to see some way to turn off registration. I have no idea what version of techno-whatevers are needed for that, nor would I know a thing about installing/updating the techno-whatevers. I am totally unhelpful.

If you can think of some other way to avoid the needless e-mails, I wouldn't say "no." I just . . . can't keep banning IP range after IP range for the rest of my life, and I'd feel obliged to do so because I don't want to see internet pollution get that much worse.

--Rexfelum
Spongey

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There generally is, though it's been years since I've dabbled in phbb, so I have no clue where to find such a feature.

On a side note, I've recently started using Mollom to eliminate spam access to the SS Comics website. For a free service, it's been great and my inbox has been blessedly free of new account details. No clue if it has phbb integration, but might be worth a look-see if anyone has access to add-ons. Again, been ages since I've messed with phbb.

As to negating new accounts, I've of two minds. On the one hand, I agree with Rexy that it seems pointless to leave registration open. On the other hand, the DVDs are still for sale. I wouldn't want to discourage anyone from being inspired to post on here, even though none of the rest of us do anymore.

So...maybe?
Emperor Xan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some reason, this makes me feel a bit sad.

Shit man, I can barely make a peanut butter and jelly sandwhich. I can't make a watch.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rexfelum

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spoke of the reaction that I would have expected years ago (riot and insurrection). Xan, the transformation over the years does not surprise me.

--Rexfelum
Damion

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rex Is it possible to remove the edit profile link? I need to make some changes. thanks btw for all your effort. if I can say that. I'm going to try and be by much much more often. but if you don't hear from me for a few months don't fret Ill be back. miss everyone.
Rexfelum

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What in the world? I'm looking for an option that would cause this problem, and, well, I'm having problems.

So there's a "Profile Options" page in an "Anti Spam" tab in the admin panel. Okay, sounds good. It lists a bunch of "Profile Field Options" and the circumstances under which users are allowed to . . . uh, well, I guess edit them. Most of these were set to "Off for Registration," which should mean that you established users would be fine, right?

Well, I set them all to "Always On" in case it caused a difference. I'm seeing no difference. I have no idea what's going wrong, but this may not be the correct source of the problem. The whole forum is probably dying slowly. The first thing I see on the page is:

Quote:
You are not running the latest stable version of Anti-Spam ACP. The latest stable version is available at Lithium Studios.

The latest stable version is . . .

Service Unavailable

HTTP Error 503. The service is unavailable.

Wheeeeeee.

So I dunno. As the admin, I can wipe or change the content on your profile myself. What would you like?

--Rexfelum

P.S.: Don't worry about how much you might show up around here. We're just glad to know you're alive.
Damion

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just to have the picture for my avatar removed. If you want you can put a pic of your choosing of master chief (chief?) from halo on there if you wouldn't mind. sorry for the trouble.
Rexfelum

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would appear to have managed it.

Which was a question. Having never done this before, for all I knew the feature was broken and I couldn't make any real changes. Thankfully it's fine.

Anyway! Sounds like things are crazy over where you are, so I'm glad to reduce stress on one point.

--Rexfelum
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Broken Saints Forum Index -> What Would You Give...to Know the Truth? All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: