Broken Saints Forum Index Broken Saints
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Musty Musings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Broken Saints Forum Index -> What Would You Give...to Know the Truth?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spongey

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 6:02 am    Post subject: Musty Musings Reply with quote

There were things I needed to be doing this week. Big, important things. I'm supposed to be finalizing the closing on a house, I need to be packing up the rest of my stuff so I can start moving. I need to be doing various things to aide in my workdays, I need to...well, you get the idea. I should have been spending more time on those, and other, things. Instead, I've been reading a bunch of my old posts. Specifically, ones made with my old Evil_Sponge account that I accidentally broke.

I found some old stories that I lost during a hard drive crash a few years after I posted them here. One of which I was sad to have lost forever, and was overjoyed to find that it still exists in some form. Another was one that I had completely forgotten I'd even written, and was actually surprised by the twist ending. I also found some goofy poems I wrote during a troubled time I was going through.

Also many many...many...drunken posts. I often refer to that period of my life as my "Dark Times," but it's still kind of shocking to see so many of them.

Most of all, I saw memories. I saw many people with whom I'd formed relationships over the years. I saw people I've been fortunate enough to have met in real life, people I'd guided here from GameFAQs, I saw people I'd had cute little internet crushes on (I'd forgotten about a few of them until I saw posts, and then nostalgic laughter ensued). I did not see the void created by the forum hack...all the lost memories and faces. I saw our triumphant return, saw us persevering as we always have.

I saw friends and I saw (dare I say it?) family.

I'm not even sure where I'm going with this, or even what the point of posting it is. There are not many left who will even read it, after all. I think I just got overwhelmed with the feelings of home this place used to give me.

I miss you guys.

I'm friends with many of my old "running crew" on the Facebook, but I don't recall actual names or faces well enough to have hooked up with everyone I'd want to. And even then I don't facebook very well or often.

That's about enough of this. I raise my cup of iced tea (and only iced tea) to anyone actually reading this. I toast with you to friends, to family, to the great times shared in this forum. I love you all as much as pure Evil in the form of a Sponge is capable of.
Rexfelum

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I continue to love the "sponge" metaphor. Or analogy. Or running-idea-that-just-keeps-coming-back. Never has the idea of a sponge ever worked so well for expressing identity.

Kinda like how the Eggplant is perpetually "Eggplant," even in real life. Or Eggy. Are we speaking of plants or eggs? Does the distinction matter?

I still wonder where "the hangouts that people remember" shall be as people move their social media attention to, well, social media websites. It's more like shouting your phone call to everyone within hearing range: it's more about you, not about a place. But is that a bad thing? Or just a different thing?

It's probably just "different," but there's also the need to have some place to write. Long-form writing, not "tweet tweet tweet." Your mention of GameFAQs reminds me that there are still sites like these: wikis and databases and fan communities. Also, yes, fan communities on places like Facebook, but apparently people get whiny if you try long-form writing on Facebook . . . on your personal webspace.

Anyway, times change. Rambling, apparently, still doesn't.

--Rexfelum
Spongey

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rexfelum wrote:
Or running-idea-that-just-keeps-coming-back.

Spoilers: It's that one.

I think what made this place what it I always end up coming back to is that it was this place. A place that was just ours...and occasionally spambots. Facebook is what it is, and I love being able to keep in touch with the old peeps, but it's everyone in the world. I miss the well of creativity and diversity, I think, more than anything else.

One of my favorite things that's come about on here is that "Bar we met in" thread. Just the stories that some people made up about their non-existent meet ups with other forum rats, some of which were based on a previous person's post and became running gags.

I'm also still amused that I'm friends with Xan on the book o' faces. So many amazing arguments...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Broken Saints Forum Index -> What Would You Give...to Know the Truth? All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: