Broken Saints Forum Index Broken Saints
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ATTENTION: A service announcement
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Broken Saints Forum Index -> What Would You Give...to Know the Truth?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

maek poast?
roasted poast
36%
 36%  [ 4 ]
potato poast
27%
 27%  [ 3 ]
plain poast
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
lawlcatz
27%
 27%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 11

Saggio l'uno

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem isn't that we have some sort of uber-clique going on here, the problem is that all the regulars who used to post left for various reasons. Especially once the series ended, there was little keeping the vast majority of people here.

Everyone kind of...drifted apart. It's sad, but it's true.

Also, I am not suggesting just getting everyone who still browses this board to jump ship, I'm looking at making a new mecca, as it were. A true successor to this board and this community. Something that will have all the attributes that made this place great, but something that will also sustain and endure over the years, so that it won't face the prospect that the BS boards face (a fate worse than dead) - neglect and a slow slip into obscurity and the history books.

A new beginning is what we need, and that is what I propose.
Emperor Xan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's nothing wrong with this place, the problem is that many of the people here have been extraordinary busy in the last year. I've been sucked into one project or another for school or writing that has eaten so badly into my time that I had to stop running my weekly gaming sessions for two months.

Shit man, I can barely make a peanut butter and jelly sandwhich. I can't make a watch.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Evil_Sponge

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the attributes that made this place great? Such as...? Really, I first started frequenting here due to the series itself. We discussed it, we were all touched by it. Anything we posted here was due to what this series brought us -- be it some new insight or the relief that others felt the same as you were beginning to. Can you truly recreate that?

Or perhaps you mean the general "vibe." The community? Something more, perhaps. The jumping of topic in dry monotone, or scathing lashes at capitalism perhaps?

And you can't resurrect that here? You need to make a forum and force those nostalgic ideals upon it? The king is dead, yes. Long live the king, yes. But this new king is not the old one. While the gut instinct is to long for the old regime, to glorify that which we remember now with fondness, this is not the only way.

If you cannot recreate it here, then perhaps it is not meant to be. The saintly course has run through us "old hats" and moved onto the newer ones. You cannot forcibly create the environ we once had by establishing a new forum and labeling it as such. The new king has his new rules. The old serfs have all moved on to their own pursuits. Let the past go, young padawan.

If you want to make your own forum, that's fine. I'll check it out. But if you make a forum dedicated to the memory of what you now perceive this place to have been, then I must politely decline. This forum never forced what it believed to be true upon us. It presented it, let it speak for itself, and we followed. If you cannot do the same, then your symbol is tainted.
Saggio l'uno

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The forums are special insofar as they have a wonderful sense of community, a great population, and superb discussion. These forums here and now are lacking all of these things - what community is left? Sure, there is a history of a community, but a history certainly doesn't suddenly impart upon this place the community spark. What sort of population is left on these boards? The elected (and then subsequently appointed) moderators who turn up to delete spam? Perhaps one or two new posts from old faces (or perhaps a new one)? What sort of discussion can be fostered without a large, sustained community that that spark - the spark that imparts onto it's membership of feeling of well-being and belonging? What sort of discussion can be held between two or three old tired voices?

All of the things that made the BS forums great are things that aren't fundamentally tied to the series. Yes, the series called us from the four corners, but it was each other that kept us posting and coming back. It was the Crew who fostered a place of open and free discourse that allow us to stay and communicate and connect. There is no reason why we can't create something like that in another place - indeed, there are many examples of places other than this that have all the necessary attributes! Why not make ourselves a new home? A new place to congregate and share experiences - is that too much to ask?

It seems that many here have misinterpreted what I have posted. I am not meaning to cannibalize the membership here, nor am I looking to drive anyone away that wants to come and post at this new place I am proposing. I want to rebuild - and make better - the forums that we all once enjoyed. It's not something contrived, or a project done out of self-interest. The BS forums were the first place online for me that really allowed me to grow as an individual, connecting with other people from all over the world. They meant something to me, and I think it's downright criminal that we would alienate each other and let our beautiful community just die off. We don't have to do that, and we shouldn't just accept the end of this place.

If you all really have such a problem with my idea, then, by all means don't come and post. No one is forcing you, but no one is stopping you either. This isn't something radical or new or revolutionary that I'm proposing - it's not like I'm suggesting we shut down the site or sacrifice children or something. There is no need to ride the drama llama - unfortunately, it seems like in the recent past the only thing that has been constant on the forums has been drama (rather than good discussion). If the this idea of a new community, a new forum is too scandalous or dramariffic for you...Then just don't come. I don't know how much I've said it, but no one is forcing this new forums down anybody's throats.

It is time for a renewal. If none of you want to come, that is most unfortunate. But know that we will create a new, strong, and vibrant community that will do justice to the memory of this place.
Guppy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never know what the new project may bring guys as well, think about it. I think Saggio should do it and see how it pans out. I have joined several other forumers side forums.. but they never really capture the community this has. Wordslingers was I think the closest not as many people but the sense of a community was there when we were all active.
Darius

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came to the forums well past its prime, a borderline ghost town. An occasional post here, a rant there, but no great influx people that are willing to share ideas, communicate, comment, assist. Hell, there's barely any flaming here as is.

I see that it still has a heart, but it beats ever slower. It needs a shot a adrenaline, it needs to become a FORUM again. But how will we do this? Surely everyone came here because of BS in the beginning. But to most people, when all was said and done, there was nothing attaching them here, no purpose, no point.

How do we make everything old new again?

Day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday a deer, and today, you.
Guppy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we start becoming drama llamas again, seriously thats the only time when there were lots of people--controversial posts, flamers, etc, attracted attention-- I mean there have been good quality posts that have been written in this past year. Remember what we lost was 3 years of quality posts. I mean we expected a new crowd would emerge from the fox release thats why mods were created second to spam deleting to keep the place organized and clean. However, only a small handful joined since and few have stayed. When they start with the new project being announced maybe some will return or maybe more new people will show... you never know. Hell the game has not been released yet either.
Rexfelum

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may have missed some details in this thread, but I may as well weigh in:

Eh. If this proposal were for "cannibalizing membership," I'd of course be against it. Who would populate the new forum other than the precious few of us who came? It would be doomed to failure.

If this proposal were, instead, for creating new surroundings for us to enjoy, hopefully to result in renewed posting-interest, I'd say I'm not interested. This forum serves my needs.

No, seriously. Slow is fine by me right now, I like the current color scheme, and the web address (hmm, brocken stains) has great memories. And if the creators come up with some overhaul of their own when they come up with new content, well, I don't doubt that the new content will change my participation.

I do check every day, basically. And:

Saggio l'uno wrote:
There is no need to ride the drama llama - unfortunately, it seems like in the recent past the only thing that has been constant on the forums has been drama (rather than good discussion).

If I don't want drama, I don't read it. Again, the slow remainders meet my needs today.

But I still voted for "roasted." That sounds tasty.

--Rexfelum
Guppy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always the voice of reason Mr. rexy.
Evil_Sponge

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another thing: I, personally, won't be able to post more on your forum than I do on this one. I've got the day job, and the night job, and the company I started that I'm trying to get off the ground, plus all the other things I'm doing for personal gain in-between all that. I know others on here share a similar fate.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't go off and create your own forums. I'm just saying that whatever community you make might not be what you envision. I'd have no problem joining, but I can't promise I won't just be a name with two posts attached to it.
Dark Star

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saggio l'uno wrote:
Guppy wrote:
How will this help by abandoning this one?

What's there left to abandon? You and DWG?

I should really be offended by this... and so should Rexy...

But I'm not..

Without them Rexy we SHALL RULE SUPREME!!!

I call him Mini George doubleyuh

Last edited by Dark Star on Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rexfelum

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evil_Sponge wrote:
the company I started that I'm trying to get off the ground

Wait. Did you mention this before, and I just missed it?

Guppy wrote:
Always the voice of reason Mr. rexy.

I don't think that was exactly my best writing. In fact, I think that post was terrible writing, and I hope that people can still garner "reason" from it.

--Rexfelum
Guppy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess thats why I can understand it... down to my level.
Rexfelum

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm . . . gonna guess that those posters bracketing me at a one-minute radius are both online right now, in Hidden form. Time to bust out the infrared specs.

--Rexfelum

Last edited by Rexfelum on Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Guppy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have been in hidden since 04.
Dark Star

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come to think about it... I've been hidden for almost two years now...

I call him Mini George doubleyuh
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Evil_Sponge

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rexfelum wrote:
Evil_Sponge wrote:
the company I started that I'm trying to get off the ground

Wait. Did you mention this before, and I just missed it?

You know...I'm really not sure. I'm still working on the website, cause the partner feels that we don't actually need to have any idea of includable content, while I feel the opposite. Plus I wanted to do some research into some of our services so that we have some idea of price points and technical requirements...which I haven't gotten around to.

So, yeah, I think this thread marks the first official word that Evil owns a corporation.
dumbwhiteguy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so what're you doing? design?

"Man when I figure out how to use the spell Check on this mother fucker you niggas in trouble"-50 Cents tweet page.
Evil_Sponge

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah pretty much. We've got graphic design, logo creation, web design, and the like. We can also do video editing, DVD authoring, and pre-production on various types of media. As I said, I'm still ironing out the logistics for some of that...and currently working of the design of the flash version of the website for the company.

That and waiting for people to fucking pay me for their websites so I can finish/post them and expand my portfolio.
Jacob Anderson

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only been here since the second of May, 2005. I've seen to many "OMG, the forum is dying" threads to not take heed.

What brought me here? What brought anyone here?

Would the new place have anything even close?

When the heck is the new project coming, and when the heck is the video game gonna hit?

What keeps me here? Why do I show up every now and again?

The first answer answers the second, and the third answers the last.

Plus, the internet is a big place. brokensaints.com/forums just happens to be in my bookmarks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Broken Saints Forum Index -> What Would You Give...to Know the Truth? All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: