Broken Saints Forum Index Broken Saints
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Eye have returned With questions)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Broken Saints Forum Index -> We Haven't Slept in Lifetimes...and our 1000 Eyes are Burning.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EyesUnclouded

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:55 am    Post subject: Eye have returned With questions) Reply with quote

I'm back.
I'm wondering when do you think Raimi is at his best mentally and emotionaly?
He seems to be more inclined to moderate Kami and Oran's squabbles than Shan is. What are your thoughts on that? Is it because he's known them longer or that he's just more sensitive to that sort of thing?
I told Zenphobia that I first read of BS in a book on character desighn are there any other literay references to BS that anybody knows of?
Rexfelum

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When he was "at his best"? I think you pegged it rather nicely: after everyone has met, including Shandala. Particularly because of the "confession" of sorts at the docks in Chapter 21, where his mind puts together all the revelations about his life and purpose, and he's even "emotionally well" enough to dream along with Shandala's dream.

His being, specifically, better at "managing" Kamimura and Oran I don't think is directly related to his being "at his best." Symbolically, the "he's just [better at] that sort of thing" explanation makes more sense, as he represents the mind component in relation to the body and soul (or awareness in relation to will and faith). Sure, simply being a sarcastic fellow with an interest in telling it like it is doesn't hurt.

And . . . I have absolutely no idea of anybody anywhere making references to Broken Saints, beyond that one parody Flash awhile ago. It saddens me. I even mention it in the Sensation and Perception class I teach when I discuss music, just in case anybody's heard of it. (You know, I should probably elaborate on that sometime.)

--Rexfelum
Rexfelum

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And don't everybody else chip in at once, you know. It would be tragic to see the thread burst at the seams.

Thread? Seams? Metaphor does not compute.

--Rexfelum
Midnight Writer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rexfelum wrote:
Thread? Seams? Metaphor does not compute.

I <3 Rex!

And I'd also have to say that I agree with him that Raimi, as the mind of the team, naturally has the gift of good leadership.

But personally I think he's at his highest point when he confronts Lear. He could have taken Lear's offer. He could have joined him and Gabriel and followed with the plan. But he had gained an understanding. He traveled with the other Saints. He witnessed the murder of someone close to him. He took part in the dreams. He was confronted with Gabriel on the ship. He went through it all. And he came to a conclusion that he was willing to fight for with his life. That to me, is the ultimate test of self.

Drink Raimi Coke!
"Something blasphemous, yet seductive."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
EyesUnclouded

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if that played a part in his allowing Shan to transfer those darker emotions to him at the end.
Rexfelum

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EyesUnclouded wrote:
I wonder if that played a part in his allowing Shan to transfer those darker emotions to him at the end.

. . . You know, I think it really says something about the overall creation that, when you wrote those words, I was struck with the entire experience of that scene. The level of sacrifice still amazes me.

Hey. Something just occurred to me. I was talking earlier about the three men in the group in terms of what they "meant," i.e., stuff from Chapter 20. Beyond will, awareness, and faith, there was of course also the love that comes to someone who is centered/whole. Well, Shandala had been basically delivered to them as the result of her ordeal, and pretty much all the others had just been suffering for their own journey, but that climax is different. He does it out of love, he "chooses love," and he connects her to him. And love sure does come to him . . .

Now, I really think there should be gentler ways to learn about love in this world.

--Rexfelum
EyesUnclouded

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rexy wrote
Quote:
Now, I really think there should be gentler ways to learn about love in this world.
[quote]

You and me both. It seems that in the series you either love a whole (expletive deleted) lot or you die.
Now might be a good time to discuss his wonderfull quotes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Broken Saints Forum Index -> We Haven't Slept in Lifetimes...and our 1000 Eyes are Burning. All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: