Broken Saints Forum Index Broken Saints
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

hmm, a bit of wise w
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Broken Saints Forum Index -> You Cannot Hurt Us...for We Believe.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dnicedashizz

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:52 pm    Post subject: hmm, a bit of wise words. Reply with quote

ohkay, so i write a bit of poetry and seeing that this section has some poetry i wanted to ask for some insight;
what do you usually write about?
how do you start?
do you have to be 'in the mood' to write?

i had other questions, but i forgot. i might post some on here, i've acutally wanted some critique at some point. dont worry, i can take it. haha(:
Rexfelum

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, other than my epic poetry saga performed in 20 installments in 20 days by expert speakers hand-picked from the ranks of the native storytellers of all seven continents and now available on DVD order your copy today, I tend not to write much poetry. Also, sadly, the most prolific poets we had on these forums have faded away over the years.

I could comment on writing in general, though.

You wrote:
how do you start?

A quick review of my brain suggests that I write about almost anything. Mostly, I will be inspired to react to some social situation, or I will think up some storyline idea that I feel should be recorded before I lose it, and I go from there. I don't have any particular theme on which I focus, because that would require that I myself feel like focusing: there is interesting stuff to write all over the place. I guess that one common domain is humor, but it has been a while since I did any of that, and I don't know if it is in any way relevant to your discussion of poetry.

On the "how do you start" front, I've already stated the usual beginning points. From there I will write until I feel the idea is complete. This may lead to something I feel comfortable sharing with others, or it may lead to a single paragraph that I store away in an idea file, leaving it unless/until I want to use it in longer writing.

You wrote:

Possibly. People have created many ways to describe "the creative process," and our chum tobias tinker wrote about some of that. The thing is that any big labeled concept in creativity that we give tons of importance, such as the "creative demons" he described or simply the "mood" you mentioned, isn't nearly as important as just sitting down and writing.

When I'm inspired, yes, it is so much more satisfying to write. But when I've been away from writing so long that I feel no helpful "mood" whatsoever, the only thing I can do about it is start writing and wait until I write something good again. If I find that words I wrote don't "feel" right because I wasn't in the "mood" yet, I can always erase it and try again, so long as I'm writing at all.

--Rexfelum
ravin_13

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to write prolificly, and still do on occasion, but nothing like I used to. Music is usually my muse, I listen to similar songs, turn out the lights and when inspiration hits I put pen to paper. I usually don't know what I write until I feel something is finished, then go over it to see what I have done. sometimes the mood hits, sometimes it doesn't. For me it hasn't hit as much as I used to, but I'm not as depressed as I used to be, usually.
We will remember them."
dnicedashizz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, thats how i feel.
i cant right about anything, but if something happens to me that day or if a fee a certain way i'll write.
thanks
i do that song thing too; listen to songs and sometimes i write based on the song or how i interpret it. poetry, or just writing in general, is a pretty good way to let stuff go. for me at leastt.
ravin_13

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to carry around a small notebook, and I'm starting to again as well. It's called a moleskine, and it is pretty cool, if expensive. I have one almost filled up of just any thing song lyrics, quotes, inane ramblings, poetry and weird sketches.
We will remember them."
dnicedashizz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha same here!
except my notebook is more of a journal, and its cupcakes
i put quotes, drawings, poetry, and whatever in it.
ravin_13

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sweet. I say weird sketches, because although I can't draw, I like to let my pen/pencil wander aimlessly across the paper
We will remember them."
dnicedashizz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trust me, i know what you mean.
drawing is not my forte, but i can doodle like a pro.
need a stick figure? youre talking to the master.
ravin_13

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, since you seem cool, here's one I wrote recently.

walk down the winding road
always carrying my own load
as I hear each step
before and after my shadow

Farther and farther I go
away from my last home
with each step that I take
before and after my shadow

facing the rising sun
won't stop till the day is done
sleep till the stars come out
wonder what it is all about
wander through the open field
the future is yet unsealed

another path is wrought
another one will be sought
until the wind whispers
there is no more, no more
We will remember them."
dnicedashizz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, denise likes!
you are very good.
and in return, here is one i wrote.

I am the song
The one you canít get out of your mind, knowingly.
Entering subconsciously.
Lyrics unknown yet youíre singing along,
A tune so sweet
It conquers everything else.

My melodies are like a broken record,
Intensifying each day,
Hour,
Minute,
Second.
My hook, these notes reeling you in
And before you realize what has happened,
Itís too late.
My chorus, deafening beats pulsing through your veins,
Addiction at best.

So the effects set in, a siren song heard only by one,
The only one and suddenly
Connecting and intertwining
By destiny, by fate.
To know I am the song, and forget the world.
I am the song.
I am love.
ravin_13

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, yours is pretty good as well!
We will remember them."
dnicedashizz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha, thank you thank you.
ive been on kind of a writers block lately, havent felt like writing and shizz.
what about you?
ravin_13

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, kinda, I get a couple of lines in, or a paragraph into a story and I can't finish it
We will remember them."
dnicedashizz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahh, i think thats worse than not writing anything at all.
like you have a good idea or story, its just not going anywhere.

i started this one:
Iím looking at you and figuring out the features, the lines, something that hasnít gotten you out of my head yet. Iím listening and wondering how every word that comes out has a meaning and every sentenced formed from that mouth moves me more than any song can. It amazes me how youíre so humble, so modest, never giving yourself as much credit as anyone ever gives you. I want to hug you when youíre sad, hug you even when youíre not. Fix your worries and mend the wounds that were penetrated so long ago. All I ask is to try, all I want is to give, and all this is can stay how it is right now, forever in this moment where

and this one:
Today in the heat of the moment, not really thinking of anything, I saw a dragonfly. I foolish I thought, or brave, this insect soaring to skies unbeknownst itself, so much bigger than they would ever be. I imagine myself now as the dragonfly, roaming where the winds will take me and eventually getting to a destination, never repeating locations.

...but nothing.
ravin_13

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, I know. I can't get anywhere with some of what I write, it sucks. and a little tidbit, the creater of Broken Saints, Brooke Burgess, is a rather prolific write of haikus. If you watch the serise, there are tons of them littered about. He also has a twitter account where he sends them off in an almost daily amount
We will remember them."
Rexfelum

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You, in poem, wrote:
I am the song

Very nice! I really felt most of what you were saying there. You evoked an idea--but instead of just invoking it and being done, you described an evolution over time, so the audience-engaging words really brought the audience along to its end. Post more!

You, in conversation, wrote:
ive been on kind of a writers block lately, havent felt like writing

Well, phooey. I'm doing fine, myself. Do you particularly need to write, or can you go and enjoy something else?

You, in poem/short story/???, wrote:
Iím looking at you and figuring out the features . . .

Today in the heat of the moment, not really thinking of anything, I saw a dragonfly. . .

Ooooooh. You managed to get the same feeling in those, I would say. Particularly the first one (no surprise, it's talking about relationships again). If inspiration suddenly strikes, please let us know. Or are these things too old and it would be like digging up a grave?

--Rexfelum
dnicedashizz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm, i shll finally use my twitter account for something!
im trying to finish all of my school stuff so i can have my undivided attention to the series!

haha, thank you for the comments.
i love music, so i wanted to write something as powerful n=and meaningful (that was my first poem to start my writing hobbie!)
no, i dont need to write, but if im having problems i dont particulary like talking about them at first. i rather have them written down, so i can let it out, yet not have anyone hear.

and as for those two poems/short stories...
i honestly dont know what they are. that day i was hanging out with all my friends and out of nowhere came a dragon fly. being the 'manly' boys they wish they were, they wanted to catch it. inspiration. and lovey relationship things, those i can write sometimes without expirience wih them, but they are not old at all.

what do you guys think i should do with them?
Zenphobia

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate the idea of muses and inspiration because these things are unreliable.

As someone who writes to pay his bills, I have to have a process that allows me to produce writing on a consistent basis. Inspiration typically fails at this point.

Writing, to me, is a technical art. If you want to achieve a certain effect, whether it's setting a particular tone, evoking an image, or establishing a theme, there are techniques for accomplishing these things. If you put words together a certain way, you achieve one technique. If you put them together in a different way, you achieve another technique. It's not about feeling or working from inspiration or anything mystical like that. It's about understanding how words work.

This is applicable in the broadest sense, as in basic organization and over all structure, down to word choice and sentence structure. If you don't know how to achieve a particular effect, chances are you've read a piece that uses it successful. Reverse engineer what that author did and then steal their technique.

As for getting started in the first place, there are techniques for that too.

-Free write, and when an interesting topic arises, write about that.
-Take the traits of a familiar character, use them as a blue print for your own character, and then drop that character into a conflict. See what happens (write, without revising or editing, until the story is over, then go back and revise what you wrote to make it better. Not stopping is the key, no matter how ridiculous or "bad" you think it is)
-Steal subject matter from books, newspapers, or movies, and use those conflicts or images or ideas as springboards for your own work.
-Start out with the line from a famous story, song, movie, or poem.
-Pick your audience and think about what they find interesting.

Don't buy into the voodoo. Don't make it some spiritual process. Writing is like building a house. Houses come in all sorts of shapes, sizes, and varieties and can be decorated with infinite variation, but the core principles behind the structure of a house are the same. You need a foundation. You need walls of some kind. You need a roof. And you probably need a bathroom, a kitchen, and a bedroom. Master the basics, then make it more complex, but don't forget that you're always working on a technical level. Learn why some things work and why some things don't. Learn the theory behind the architecture of writing.

-Rickson Gracie
Zenphobia

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and what to do with poetry and short stories: get them published (publishing anything fictional is a challenge, but don't give up).

-Rickson Gracie
Emperor Xan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: hmm, a bit of wise words. Reply with quote

dnicedashizz wrote:
ohkay, so i write a bit of poetry and seeing that this section has some poetry i wanted to ask for some insight;
how do you start?

i had other questions, but i forgot. i might post some on here, i've acutally wanted some critique at some point. dont worry, i can take it. haha(:

Being a glutton for punishment with my double major and 4-class quarter, I write what they tell me to. But, I always manage to find a way to interject Jungian psychology, mythic comparisons, or structural analysis into my papers as well as an inside joke or two. When I'm not a slave to academia, I write whatever I feel like. lol

Shit man, I can barely make a peanut butter and jelly sandwhich. I can't make a watch.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Broken Saints Forum Index -> You Cannot Hurt Us...for We Believe. All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: