Broken Saints Forum Index Broken Saints
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Manifest Destiny 2.0

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Broken Saints Forum Index -> You Cannot Hurt Us...for We Believe.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emperor Xan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:45 pm    Post subject: Manifest Destiny 2.0 Reply with quote

So, I'm taking this class that's entitled "States of Damage" that focuses on literature of the first decade of the new century. The professor goes on to mention that there is a shift in American economics, culture, and trends that takes place throughout the mid 90s as the beginning of the loss of community, sense of fear, etc. that serve as the hallmarks of the first ten years of the 21st century. Now, I have no problem with his overall diagnosis of the symptoms' origin point, but he either doesn't get one crucial element that changed the world, or he's purposely overlooking the singular feature that got us here:

THE FUCKING INTERNET

Sorry, I just couldn't let this go without venting.

Shit man, I can barely make a peanut butter and jelly sandwhich. I can't make a watch.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Emperor Xan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay.....Same class, but an e-mail:

Quote:
entitled: The Trap - "F__k You Buddy!" - 2/6 - Adam Curtis

Let me set this up for you.

It comes from a 3 episode 2007 documentary called _The Trap: What Happened
to Our Dream of Freedom_. This was directed by Adam Curtis, who is
probably the leading contemporary documentarian living in the UK.

Curtis is well-known for a 2002 documentary about advertising and social
control _The Century of the Self_ (which was drawn on for the first
episodes of _Mad Men_) and a 2004 documentary The _Power of Nightmares_,
which looks at the intertwined rise of Islamic fundamentalism and the
Chicago School of Economics (we'll see Naomi Klein's story about the
Chicago School later in the class).

This clip talks about how "game theory" was developed during the 1950s
Cold War as a way to rationalize government tactics as a form of nuclear
deterrent. Curtis is interested in how a policy for nation-states became
used as a theory of how individuals should act in their own lives.

The film clip focuses on John Nash, the Princeton game theory
mathematician depicted in the movie The Beautiful Mind.

Now, let me get this straight.....the only use of game theory is to show how the only way to prevent a war is to be as ready to nuke your foe as they would you? Am I wrong in noting that the same theory shows that cooperation provides a greater mutual benefit to anyone smart enough to plan beyond the moment?

Shit man, I can barely make a peanut butter and jelly sandwhich. I can't make a watch.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rexfelum

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emperor Xan wrote:
INTERNET

Emperor Xan wrote:
Now, let me get this straight.....the only use of game theory is to show how the only way to prevent a war is to be as ready to nuke your foe as they would you? Am I wrong in noting that the same theory shows that cooperation provides a greater mutual benefit to anyone smart enough to plan beyond the moment?

You make compelling points, Imperial One. I likewise wonder about the interplay between the implications of the internet (and other words that start with "i") and the content of the course (and other words that start with a hard "c"). As to game theory . . . hmm. That's mighty perrrrculiar, innit?

--Refelum

P.S.: By the way, are you stating that this e-mail must not be correct, or that the individuals doing things during the Cold War must have been crazy?
Emperor Xan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Nash WAS crazy. He suffered from paranoid schizophrenia when he developed his equilibrium equations. That said, what his theory showed is that while predators (and computers) ALWAYS go for the maximum payoff that also has the highest risk, nature doesn't work that way. Predators on an individual level do try to maximize their payoffs, but that comes at the cost of eating only 50% of the time (at most) when they hunt. To prevent mass extinction, however, nature forces such predators to spread out to equalize the payoffs so that the species doesn't kill itself from short-sightedness. People are short-sighted and only care about themselves and immediate families. Specialization results in minimizing the amount of risk people have that they and their own will starve to death by contributing to the society's continued survival. NONE of this is covered in the materials so far provided in the class. People aren't machines and know they can't do everything on their own, which is why we barter for other services. This lowers the payoff, but provides insurance that steady gains are created, which is the other aspect of the Nash Equilibrium.

Bearses

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Manifest Destiny 2 0 Reply with quote

Xylifrost wrote:
If anyone doesnt know what OOC, its out of character ,

Wait, 4 of us have to send in promos even though its a un-hyped dark match?

this amuses me

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Manifest Destiny 2 0 Reply with quote

Xylifrost wrote:
If anyone doesnt know what OOC, its out of character ,

Wait, 4 of us have to send in promos even though its a un-hyped dark match?

You should be beaten to the brink of death with a lead pipe in the most excruciating way possible followed by a red-hot poker being shoved up your ass.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Broken Saints Forum Index -> You Cannot Hurt Us...for We Believe. All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: