Broken Saints Forum Index Broken Saints
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where are you now?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Broken Saints Forum Index -> What Would You Give...to Know the Truth?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rexfelum

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes indeed, still here. The final electron support pillars have yet to crumble, and so the pixel factories churn on, strewing fora and post symbology into the inter-ether.

Good to see you're all still alive. Well, various among you are active on Facebook, so of course I know you're alive. If you're not active on said "book," you might consider doing so. (You won't see me post there, rather my wife, but she lets me know if anybody is having a personal explosion and/or posting about cats.)

As to the forums/fora: over the years of actual activity, I tried to keep records of essays and posts that I found most interesting. Some things slipped through the cracks and that's just how ephemera work. I'm glad we finally got rid of the spam flood as this pace quietly decays; it's harmless to leave online, now, and it's fun to know it was there.

--Rexfelum
The Eggplant

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still in the Boston area as usual. Nice to see you're all still around.
Solace

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:53 pm    Post subject: Wow Reply with quote

Just wow. Throw back last decade. I miss this place. It was pivotal in my journey. More than any of you will ever know. Much love and light to all.
Rexfelum

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay! Nice to see you, Solace. Various folk are active on Facebook these days, so if you know anyone by "real name" you might connect over there.

--Rexfelum
D3athP3nguin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tl;dr: life is good, some crazy stuff happened, but I have no regrets.

Just got nostalgic for this place out of the blue I wish I remembered my original id: I think I made this one a few years ago in an attempt to jump back in. This forum was the first online community I joined, and the one I resonated with the most.

One of the themes of Broken Saints is how interconnected people and events are. Fifteen years later, I have learned how true that is, in ways that are haunting, terrible and beautiful all at once.

I went to college, and had the typical college experience. Made some good friends, and had relationships that were good, bad, and everywhere in between. Came out with a psychology degree, but my heart was in computers so I pursued a career in IT.

Towards the end of college, I fell madly in love with a girl I was friends with in high school. A year into the relationship, she was accepted into a language exchange program in a foreign country, something she had dreamt about her entire life. I couldn't deny her the pursuit of a life goal, so we decided to keep the flame going long-distance.

For the next two years we kept in constant touch, and our love grew. We took turns visiting on holidays and in between. She had a lust for life that I had never encountered in anyone before- she would find a way to turn every day into an adventure. I would sometimes volunteer to take the night shift at my job, so that we could stay in the same time zone and chat the hours away.

On the last year of her exchange program, a natural disaster struck the country, and her area was one of the hardest hit. She was riding back to her apartment at the time, and was killed instantly.

When we got the news that her body had been found, her dad and I went over to the country to get her affairs in order. The whole ordeal was like a slow-moving nightmare, but I'm glad I was able to go back one last time and get some closure. I met with her students, drank with her friends, and had some fun getting lost in the city with her dad.

On the flight home, I decided the best way to honor her memory was to live what she had taught me. That meant seizing life's opportunities, even if I felt distraught and aimless. I had bought two tickets to Burning Man, one of which was meant for her. Instead of selling the tickets, I decided to give the spare to one of our mutual friends. We had a blast, and we made some great memories.

I was renting a house with two women at the time, and I had started developing an interest in one of them. I'm usually the shy guy who waits for the girl to make the first move, but I decided to ask her out anyway because life is short... Fast forward a few years, and now we are happily married!

It's weird thinking about life's twists and turns, and how tragedy can lead to bliss and vice versa. If the first love-of-my-life hadn't died, I would have never met the second... but I wouldn't trade a minute of my time spent with either of them. In order to get the most out of life, i had to learn to accept the good along with the bad. Otherwise i would go nuts trying to chase the former or escape from the latter.

Sorry, long tangent- making up for a decade of silence. What am I doing now? I work in IT at SomeBigCorp, managing anything with a Linux kernel. I bought a house with my awesome wife recently, and we plan on having kids next year. A stray puppy followed us home while we were out jogging, so now we have a dog.

I'm happy where I am now, and I have no regrets.
ravin_13

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry to ear about your tragedies, but happy for your successes. It's funny, I used to be angry about alot of things but I slowly realized its not worth it. Especially in the job I have now. It can be a high stress job, but there are alot of benefits to it. You just have to use what you have to make the most of it.
We will remember them."
Rexfelum

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a remarkable story. You know, following people regularly online, you get a different sort of impression. Nothing seems quite as "big" when you hear the individual updates day-by-day. It's just a bunch of folks talking about (typically) what bothers them.

But then summarize it after awhile, and suddenly you sound like you have a life. Just to take your final content note: when posted live on a forum, "uhhhh, this puppy followed us home, what do we do?!" sounds like somebody clueless on the internet. But look back on the event, and "now we have a dog" sounds like somebody in the know.

I'm glad that your relationship and personal matters have brought you to a good place, however it took to get there. Nice to see you again!

--Rexfelum
Mooshou

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of a sudden a Bee Gees song starts playing.... gah.

I, uh, am in Southern California. Full time work, masters degree done but not working in that field (yet..) and taking care of mom. I've taken in many of my family (almost all 4 of my bros) within the last five years and now they're all moved out.

I was just thinking of you guys. I had come across my old Livejournal and it just flashed in my head of the forums. Kinda funny that I had to reset my password after all of this time lol.

Anyways, I'm sleepy.
Caroljoy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D3athP3nguin wrote:
I'm happy where I am now, and I have no regrets.
(I'm using this short quote as a stand in for the whole post.)

I'm seconding Rexfelum's thoughts on this, months later. I have little of any substance that I can add, but I'll try anyway. I'm sorry to hear of the tragedy, but I'm glad you've found happiness and have no regrets. That is the way to live life, if you can manage it.
dumbwhiteguy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calibration tech at the VA in Ann Arbor.

Other than that nothing of any major interest to report.

"Man when I figure out how to use the spell Check on this mother fucker you niggas in trouble"-50 Cents tweet page.
Damion

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I have been sitting here trying to decide how I'm going to post this. I want to make a whole new thread for it as to not take away from others in this thread. It is bad. really bad. but I see everyone here as family and some may already know some of it as motoko may have explained her side. I don't want to take attention away from anyone.
But... I feel you guys deserve to know. I didn't know about the facebook group. But, now that I know I still cant join you guys for at least another year. That's if you will have me. which I will explain... I believe I will make another thread. Doing so though may get me into trouble. I do need to do this.

On second thought....

something this serious shouldn't be posted to a public forum.... yet.

Does anyone keep in contact with Gups? we met once and I feel I can explain it to her and leave it to her to decide what should and shouldn't be posted. Gups to my knowledge has always been fair and I'd like to do this as thoughtfully as possible. Ill email her but if any of you can get the word out that would be helpful. Sorry for the delay. but I have to consider a lot.

Love you guys its really good to hear everyone for the most part is doing well. I really miss this place. I hope I can continue to post and catch up with everyone.

[EDIT] I cant edit my profile. it seems to have been disabled. really need to change my avatar lol and sig too. Also the email is good so feel free to email me. just understand I'm not the only one who reads it. [/Edit]
StellarVisions

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's going on now? This is the first reply notification I've gotten in years? Is it about closing down new account creation to mitigate spambots?

This Forum needs more CatBread.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Damion

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing on my end. weird
Rexfelum

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I replied over there, I can't find any actual evidence that this is an anti-spam measure. But I also can't find any counter-evidence. It's just whacked out.

Do as you need, Damion. It's just good to see you.

--Rexfelum
Spongey

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damion: I keep lightly in touch with Guppy through the facebook and now, weirdly, Miitomo. Do you want profile links for the friendings? On a serious note, dude: post whatever you feel you need to where ever you feel you need to post it whenever you're ready to post. I tend to echo the family sentiment...this crazy community has always been important to me, and always will (whether or not I remember to log in more that once or twice a year).

And where am I? Somehow wormed my way into retail management and am buying my grandmother's house from her. Who wants to come to the house-warming party?
Damion

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like that sponge if you could give gups the heads up. its pretty serious. I know she would give me the advice I need.
dumbwhiteguy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welp I guess that's that for our little reunion

And now that everyone is gone I think we all know what time it is

"Man when I figure out how to use the spell Check on this mother fucker you niggas in trouble"-50 Cents tweet page.
Mindless

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey.

Really enjoyed reading all the posts in this thread here. I'm glad things are moving forward positively for hopefully most of everyone posting here - Damion, hope you're OK man.

I don't really have a lot of news. I'm still in Vancouver- that makes it 12 years now. Life's been kind... even for a middle class white dude in north america with an english accent.

I wonder if I'll ever be able to explain how important this place was- and how important you all were. Who you were, what you meant, and why you all mattered so much.

Miss you. Love to you all. Very best wishes to you and yours.
dumbwhiteguy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, nice to see that the next generation will get to grow up under another G.dubbs like we had to.

dumbwhiteguy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just stopping by on my nostalgia tour of old websites.

Homestar runner is still up by the way.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Broken Saints Forum Index -> What Would You Give...to Know the Truth? All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: