Broken Saints Forum Index Broken Saints
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Matthew meets a saint

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Broken Saints Forum Index -> What Would You Give...to Know the Truth?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matthew

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 8:22 am    Post subject: Matthew meets a saint Reply with quote

Hello one and all.

I would first like to apologize for my absence around here lately, I really would like nothing more than to talk to all off you, and to share my views about..well..everything, but lately I’ve been really busy. With going to drama festivals (and winning an award WOOT) and having after school programs to attend and practice for my home life has mostly consisted of sleep.

But… I got my break when I attended the 2006 anime convention Anime North. Now I’m not an avid anime fan, traditional N.A. comics usually take all of my geek space up( along with broken saints worship of course ) but none the less I had one of the best times of my life there. Besides being a goof and somehow inadvertently gaining a fan base (that happens when you run around the convention in a Spiderman mask climbing everything in sight, or pretending to be a statue. yes I need medication) I found the panels to be thoroughly enjoyable. I was surrounded by nice people in a nice environment for three days and it felt great. But why am I posting here?

Because of the best thing that happened to me.

I was looking through my schedule and noticed the guest sections had someone I was dying to meet within it. I freaked out and began running to the autograph lines to see if it was true. I looked around for early twenty minutes before I saw the man. All smiles signing autographs on t-shirts, posters, and the like. I ran back to my friends, told them about what I had seen, but realized I had nothing that could be autographed. So I would have to wait the next day.

And the next day came, and with a new exciting reason to get up i rushed through my house, grabbed my Broken Saints DVD and met my friends so we could take the bus back to the con. My friends, always the loving and supportive, tried to talk me out of it stating that “most people in business like that are complete assholes” but I didn’t care. And I went running to the autograph hall…

I nearly didn’t make it, I was the LAST person accepted in the lineup. But I was still there and that’s all that mattered. so, after a good half hour of fan girls squealing and fan WOMEN attempting to regain their composure. I was finally ready to meet the truly great
Michael Richard Dobson!!!

I walked up to him, attempting to hide my nervousness. He stood up to shake my hand, and I told him it was an honor to meet him. He had this look on his face, he was being nice but he looked tired, and it did seem like a long day. So i took out my broken saints DVD, took out the cover slip and put it on the table, and when he noticed the tired look was entirely replaced with a large smile followed by the statement” No WAY man broken saints!!!”

I told him that I wasn’t an anime fan, but that meeting him felt necessary because broken saints is an essential part of my life, he started to laugh, as if receiving very good news and quickly grabbed me and hugged me. He was either in shock that someone actually heard of the series, or that someone so young was changed so much by it. We wound up talking about the series for nearly ten minutes. We talked about the meaning of the series, why it’s so important, and he told me about how he had to reach into a dark place within himself to play Oran. He wound up hugging me again after I told him about how I found the series in a really bad period of my life, and how watching it caused me to loose a lot of the ignorance and general assumptions about people and life in general that I used to confide in so much. He also told me about the situation with fox, and how he hopes the series can expand and be viewed by more people rather than something someone luckily stumbles upon like I did. I agreed, and we continued into talking about the definition of the series, and how interesting it was that the characters really could have taken either a road that would leave them entirely broken or one that offers an awakening. We both forgot for a few minutes about the autograph process, and after snapping out of my excitement allowed him to autograph the inside art of the slip cover. Once he was finished he shook my hand and hugged me again. Then he told me how it was a pleasure to meet me, and that I really made his day. I responded with the same words, and with a message of peace from Oran himself I was off, jumping around like a fool down the staircase.

I have to say that Michael Dobson is an amazing man, and meeting him is definitely one of the highlights of my life, and luckily I have a small snippet of it I can always drool over, written right below Oran’s face it says “ Matthew, thank you so much for your kind words, it meant a lot to meet you. Your friend Michael Dobson. ORAN”

Ahh my life just got a whole lot better
Samael

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good autograph sessions are always awesome, something sort of like that happened for me with Ladytron...Nobody else got the signatures I did, hehehe.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Zephie

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear you had such a great meeting with the man, Matthew! Thanks for sharing.
bs

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully anyone coming to comicon will bring their copies...as a certain fella or two will be there for signing and chat. (fingers crossed)

'Dobby' was the most incredible talent to work with - SO focused, and SO open to direction and shifts in energy. We were really feeding off of each other in the studio...my only regret was that we didn't get some video of the voiceover scenes themselves. He was INTENSE!!! Felt like I found my long-lost brother

b
Not just another star
It is Me
It is You

Last edited by bs on Tue May 30, 2006 1:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
XuShenLi

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucky you, Matthew! Way to go! It's great that you met Michael Dobson. I'm an anime fan myself, but sometimes it's good to be acknowledged from other series that aren't entirely involved with anime, I guess.
Infinite Blue, Quack M.D.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That story made me feel all warm and tingly inside.

Ze sveedish chef: eenfuneet bluoo ees ell ebuoot keyewtneuoeuoeus BORK BORK BORK!!!
bs

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like some more warmies and tinglies are a comin'...Comicon's looking better and better each day!

b
Not just another star
It is Me
It is You
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Broken Saints Forum Index -> What Would You Give...to Know the Truth? All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: