Broken Saints Forum Index Broken Saints
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Proposed Board Voting System
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Broken Saints Forum Index -> What Would You Give...to Know the Truth?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bs

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why this 'experiment' will be so interesting...
Not just another star
It is Me
It is You
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Night_Walker

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If all goes well it sounds like a pretty good idea. I haven't been here in a long time so i dont know what sparked it, but sounds interesting
ravin_13

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of you people are already interesting.

I don't want to be a mod, and I more than likely won't vote, If you want to make me a comish, thats fine, I'll do it, but personally don't really want to either. This forum has been fun, and I'm sorry that I only joined in September, I just hope things won't stray too far from the way they are.
We will remember them."
lazy_dum_guy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First things first, we need to have a vote to see who gets to be an election comissioner. We'll of course need to develop another board voting system for that, and hopefully it will be one that does not involve election commisioner election commissioners.
D-man

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lazy_dum_guy wrote:
First things first, we need to have a vote to see who gets to be an election comissioner. We'll of course need to develop another board voting system for that, and hopefully it will be one that does not involve election commisioner election commissioners.

If I knew you'd take the Job I'd nominate you.

I love that wit.
Emperor Xan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, after popping a second 600mg tablet of ibuprophine for the night, my arm doesn't feel so much as if a baseball bat has been taken to it. Damn, CTS sucks.

Anyway, here's my thoughts on the mods...

I've been on enough boards to know that if you don't want suspicions of what can and can't be said, you want someone neutral to serve as the moderator. While those of us who've been here for quite some time may have an inkling of what's acceptable behavior, to see a mod get in a debate has enough of a history of abuse on other forums that to show newcomers that speaking your mind won't be censored (I've heard your reasonings on this, but I'm not convinced by them), having someone who is less likely to do so is more comforting and sends a message that there is a true tolerance by removing any beliefs or suspicion of potential abuse and censoring.

Yeah, fine, we know who everyone is around here, but they don't. How the hell else are you planning on promoting the spirit of openess? This is the motiviation for me to not accept Brooke's offer to be co-moderator of the rants/politics section. Yeah, that looks even better: the mods of that section debating each other and taking sides. Frankly, that worries me even more that, while it would be meant to prove that there's no reprocussions to fear for having an unpopular opinion, there's not guarantee of neutrality and plenty of confusion for someone just getting their feet wet in the community.

No, I still don't expect any of you to believe me, but this is why I feel the way I do. I wouldn't be suprised to find you thinking I'm just trying to obfuscate my "true" intentions. You're entitled to your opinions, but like assholes, everyone has one.

In that respect, I propose something that may seem like a hassle, but removes all doubt of neutrality. This is something that comes from fencing, of all places, but works. In a match, to ensure that there's no rigged rulings, roughly halfway through a match the judges who determine if a touch has been scored swtich sides. For the forums, this would be a rotation of sections the moderators are assigned to.

Shit man, I can barely make a peanut butter and jelly sandwhich. I can't make a watch.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Zero (The Anon One)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lazy_dum_guy wrote:

Yeah, yeah, I know, I mentioned that to Sag last night. But look, if you guys want an election so bad, just go ahead and pick a couple people by (fairly) general consensus to serve for this one election, alright?

-Davey Crockett
Zero (The Anon One)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xan, Political Exile wrote:
For the forums, this would be a rotation of sections the moderators are assigned to.

It's an interesting suggestion but I think that if you don't trust a mod on one forum, you shouldn't vote for him in the first place. Secondly, the idea behind all this is to make less work for Brooke. Making sure he redoes the mod permissions every month or two sounds like a real pain in the rear. Also, if we're doing our jobs well, I doubt most new posters will even notice that we're mods, especially since there's no badge under our avatar. And who cares if they take opposite sides in a political debate, it's a fallacy of modern American politics that you're supposed to present a united front on every issue. Lastly, once again, folks, if a mod abuses their power, Brooke will remove them.

-Davey Crockett
Communist_Spy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's not call them moderators. Let's call them board memberERs or something else without that connotation that people stretch. Remember, how many times in the past has brooke actually had to step down from the clouds and rain fire on our ass? There was that one time that guy spammed 3 pages of shit about me and now there's this. 2 in 5 years?

That being said, I don't want to take the emphasis off of picking just moderators. I'm just trying to show that this decision won't be the end of these boards if we fuck it up. A moderator, or memberER, won't have a hard job chock-full of editing each and every one of our posts, like it's played up to be.

Now, I like the idea so far. The choice on commissioners doesn't have to be polar opposities, I say. i.e. if one commish is Mr.Satan, we don't have to necessarily make the second CaptainJesus, or as we call him, bigjact. We need two trustworthy gladiators.
Eggplant was called out as one. I say Psyrena should serve as the other. At all times, she's been fair and just and ready to tell you to backpedal faster and call you a bitch, if need be. Sounds fitting to me. And I'm of the strong conviction that she's ghosting around here more than we know. It would only take her logging in when she needs to, and remembering to log in when she needs to.

And Zero's a Floridian!! Let him keep track of this and the next thing you know, every senile fogey's home escapee will be coming in droves to tell us they accidentally casted their ballot wrong.
Zero (The Anon One)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions, Commie. (I love both Eggy and Psy, but I obviously shouldn't be picking commishes so that's all I'll say! ~_^)

By the way, folks, if we could get some commissioners chosen today, we could go ahead and take nominations from today until noon on Wednesday, have debates from Wednesday to say Friday at noon, then take votes from Friday evening to Monday morning, so that by the time next week rolls around, this mess is over with.

But that can only happen if you guys go ahead and find some commissioners today!

-Davey Crockett
lastman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

experiments rock, b.
Zero (The Anon One)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C'mon folks. Commissioners. Suggestions. You can do it. Show some balls, now.

-Davey Crockett
Dark Star

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok an idea I was tossing around with Ross a second ago, he said I should post it.

I say we make a forum wide decision not to know who the mods are. I those who want to vote vote and make their voices heard and those of us who don't care continue not caring.

B (or another elected party) tallies our votes and informs the mods of their duties. The new mods open new user accounts under false names and run as mods but continue on the forums as their regular users.

That way, if Sag ends up being mod of the politics forum he can go on under Sag and rant off about communism and wookies etc etc and then do his own mod thing in the mod account.

Also, this way nobody can have a problem that's personal with one of the mods because we won't know who they are. Personal stuff will stay with personal accounts and mod stuff will go to mod accounts.

PS: I say Eggy and/or Psy as election commissioners too

I call him Mini George doubleyuh
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
FallenAngel

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok Commissioners, how about the people who arent interested in being nominated for a moderator position speak up and we nominate from that pool of people?

I'll start. I am not interested in being a moderator.

"did I dream this belief?
or did i believe this dream?"

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zero: refrence, http://brokensaints.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5741
Mooshou

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it's safe to assume I don't want to be nominated for any form of a "Moderator" status.
Zephie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not interested in modship either.
law breaker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

me and dood are interested
bs

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm down with Eggy and Psy as election commissioners if they have the time and interest - good strong choices. If Psy's not available, then Mindless would get my vote.

b
Not just another star
It is Me
It is You
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
The Eggplant

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll accept commissioner.

I don't want to be a moderator.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Broken Saints Forum Index -> What Would You Give...to Know the Truth? All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: