Broken Saints Forum Index Broken Saints
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

That one detail
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Broken Saints Forum Index -> We Haven't Slept in Lifetimes...and our 1000 Eyes are Burning.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zenphobia

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 3:57 pm    Post subject: That one detail Reply with quote

(fight the spam!)

We always talk about what parts of the series we loved, what parts impacted us, but was there any part of the series that you did not like and honestly irritated you?

For example: I still can't stand the fact that Raimi refused to pick up a gun. I can't remember which chapter it was off the top of my head, but they're following Shandala in shortly after the boat scene, all the soldiers are dead and they find the creepy video of Shandala wreaking havoc.

Anyways, it bugs me to no end that Raimi that he had no desire to pick up a gun when he knew there were a ton of guys running around with guns and Raimi never struck me as a person that was too dumb to be careful.

-Rickson Gracie
unavoidable

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chapter 23, end of part 2.

I like the whole series. Honestly.

'Nuff said. Man of few words tonight.
Rexfelum

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, the crew already has a list of my criticisms a mile long. Perhaps a specific example will pop out in my mind once I think about this more.

--Rexfelum
bs

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And now I finally have something I can critique RICHARD on...hehehehe.

Spammmmm, Mr Modertor?

Ahem...

b
Not just another star
It is Me
It is You
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Infinite Blue, Quack M.D.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raimi talks in chatspeak?!
This guy is capable of rerouting the signal of the chip so it can be put in the arm instead of the eye within minutes, yet he doesn't use proper grammar when typing?

Ze sveedish chef: eenfuneet bluoo ees ell ebuoot keyewtneuoeuoeus BORK BORK BORK!!!
Rexfelum

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Infinite Blue wrote:
This guy is capable of rerouting the signal of the chip so it can be put in the arm instead of the eye within minutes

Hmm, I had to correct Efraim on this one a while ago, now I have to do it again, and neither time do I understand why. As was stated both at the start of that sequence (in Raimi's inner monologue) and at the end (when speaking to the military men), he found an alternate route that had already been programmed by Biocom.

Which we can then use towards figuring out the larger conspiracy, of course. After all, it would have been very strange for Palmer (read, Lear) to tell all the militaries in the world to half-blind themselves.

--Rexfelum

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, okay, got it! You see, I thought that he created it and passed it off as "Biocom's Alternate Route," so it wouldn't look like he was just trying to show off or cause trouble. So it was by Biocom after all... that makes much more sense now. I guess I was a bit off, eh?

Ze sveedish chef: eenfuneet bluoo ees ell ebuoot keyewtneuoeuoeus BORK BORK BORK!!!
Rexfelum

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, here's one. Right before the EM blast in the apartment, Raimi shouts that the door is "locked from the inside." Now, isn't Raimi on the inside right then? The side from which one can unlock things? Or am I just completely ignorant of what the word "inside" means?

--Rexfelum
bs

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The locking and unlocking can only be done from the 'inside', but even though he's 'inside', he can't unlock it - Raimi's the type of guy who would leave his door unlocked in staff housing while he's hope...

Therefore, it makes no sense for it to be locked!

b
Not just another star
It is Me
It is You
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Rexfelum

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See, now, that requires a redefinition of the word "from." As I understand English, he's saying that the force responsible for the locking-ness is on the inside. Well, he is on the inside. Therefore, he has control of the locking mechanism.

Now, if you wanted to redefine the word "from" to mean something more like "against," then that would work. I.e., "the door is locked from people trying to open it who are on the inside!" However, I have never heard anyone say that.

I don't wanna be the language police, but it is kinda helpful if everyone agrees on what dictionary we're using.

--Rexfelum
bs

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're being a dingleberry.

Locked 'from the inside' means that somehow the computer/housing unit decided to lock the door and he couldn't override it. You should have absolute control from the 'inside'...he had NONE.

Hence - 'It's locked from the inside (which, if you listened to the voice version - would show you that he's aghast and agog, since that makes no sense).

But you keep nitpicking, laddybuck...it's an essential part of your charm.

b
Not just another star
It is Me
It is You
Jacob Anderson

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I believe that the only gripes I have with the series are soley theological differences of opinions. Otherwise, who are we to critique such a unique expression of pure creative thought. Discrepancies due to gramatical errors could be attributed to the humanity of the characters.

I look at two novels of two points of view of virtually the same set of events. Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow, by Orson Scott Card, show two different view points, and as such has many cases where the different perspectives of the characters resulted in different interpretations of events, speaking lines, and other such examples.

I think that such things worked into any story help to make it more real. Very little is so black and white when dealing with different perspectives. (I know that may come off sounding hypocritical because of what I have said in other places on the boards, but take this into mind)

As far as true gripes, I have none. Yet. As I watch the series repeatedly and discover deeper layers I may find something, but not yet.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just remembered something. In the last chapter, when Raimi altered the image tap so that it showed pictures from the laptop on the screens, I remember one of the pictures being of Shandala's adoptive mother. How would Raimi get that picture, let alone know who she is?

bs

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because they had the pictures from Gabriel's boat, with the rest of the information on her past.

Not just another star
It is Me
It is You

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, right! *smacks forehead* Duh! ^_^
Thanks, I'm a bit slow on these things sometimes.

The Eggplant

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I got one...

Explain the development of Shandala's sibilant 'S' given her "birthplace" and the people she grew up around.

bs

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheap mics on the 'satellite monitoring equipment'...the 'atmospheric interference' warbled her S's

BTW...that issue is cleaned up CONSIDERABLY on the new version...we even yap about it in the commentaries

b
Not just another star
It is Me
It is You
WitnessNoMore

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I have 2. In the chapter where Hassan finds Oran in the bunker before the fight, when Hassan asks him "What did this to you?" while Oran was crouched in a corner, he replies "God". Shouldn't he reply "Allah" since he's muslim?

2nd: how did Shandala's family get those pictures? I know that they traded with the mainland to get the camera, but how did they develop them on an island with bright sun and no training (or development materials). I know that they are not from a polaroid camera because they don't have the white section on the bottom and I know that it was not a digital camera because, well they live on a desert island.
bs

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. 'God' is still used by Muslims...depends on the context.

2. I didn't go into more detail...but remote islands often have arrangements with fishermen to take film to the mainland to get developed...the real Chief Tui had his walls simply COVERED in photos - the film would be picked up once every month or so with fuel and related shipments.

b
Not just another star
It is Me
It is You
Rexfelum

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bs wrote:
with fuel and related shipments.

Mmm. Hence, the Revelation (by which I mean the ship) could keep being fueled after Chapter 24. So, Raimi's laptop wouldn't actually run out of juice. Interesting.

--Rexfelum
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Broken Saints Forum Index -> We Haven't Slept in Lifetimes...and our 1000 Eyes are Burning. All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: