Broken Saints Forum Index Broken Saints
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Better name might be Nintendo Wtf
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Broken Saints Forum Index -> What Would You Give...to Know the Truth?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zero (The Anon One)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:13 am    Post subject: Better name might be Nintendo Wtf Reply with quote

http://games.slashdot.org/games/06/04/27/1625208.shtml

Oh COME ON! GODDAMIT!

-Davey Crockett
Bearses

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

indeed

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LoL.... oh man....

I love this quote:

"I love Nintendo, and I think the new console is going to rock - but naming it "Wii" is like naming your kid Richard when your' last name is Head; you're just gimping them unnecessarily from the start.

Sigh...I know I'm getting this damn thing when it comes out, despite the retarded name.

Maybe a name like "Sii" would have made a better name, as in "See", like seeing is believing or "SEE, we told you your were gonna love it!", or "Sea", relating back the to the Blue Ocean philosophy Nintendo has taken with marketing the console. Damn, even as in "Si", Spanish for YES.

The gaming experience should speak for itself when this thing launches, but I really hope this name doesnt backfire on Nintendo.
Zero (The Anon One)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, even Sii would've been a better name.

I can see a lot of branding potential here (ten bucks they use Wiifi at some point in the future) but it's just.... With that one blow, Nintendo completely undid all the work we fans have done against the Xbox/PS blowhards dismissing Nintendo as "kiddy." I think this name works much better in Japan then it does here in the states.

Plus, I just don't like the name. Revolution was a great name! What was wrong with sticking with that? It says a lot more to me then any word variation with two vowels consecutively (except maybe titties).

-Davey Crockett
The Eggplant

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheeeeeeeee!

http://cad-comic.com/news.php?i=1089#1092
el chapulin colorado

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not trying to add to the negativity towards the the new official name, but the commercial didnt do it for me either. I think the mission statement sounded cheesy. It's different, sure, but so far I've been reading it to gamers and non gamers alike and the general consensus is that Nintendo can do WAY better, even with their defense for deciding on the name "Wii"

The name is okay... it just doesnt fit for a game console. Small example:

I showed it to my sister, who has an eye for creativity, and a fashion designer btw. I showed her the logo, without telling her what it was for.

"What do you think of this name"

"Wii?" (she actually pronounced it right)

"Yeah."

<she shrugs and nods> "It's okay. What is it?"

"The name for the next Nintendo console"

"What?!? Hell no!" <laughs>

I proceed to show her the vid and mission statement...

The whole while she's just shaking her head, "Oh my god..."

Finally she walks away, and says "Whoever came up with all that should be fired"

Sorry guys, the name is definitely a buzz generator, but I hope they will reconsider a different name before launch.
Zero (The Anon One)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree on the firing. Some people are comparing this to the "Touching is Good" DS campaign but I thought that was a smashing success (partly because it helped shed some of that same image). But I think it's too weeny for gamers and too bleh for mass market. I can understand, I suppose, them wanting a lower key name for the mass market, something less dramatic. But this is just a poor choice, period. I get the feeling this was made without serious input from NoA.

-Davey Crockett
The Eggplant

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anybody else but me think it's better than tacking on number like Xbox 360 or Playstation 3?

http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Story/200604/N06.0427.1154.38678.htm
Damion

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just read this artical on there explaintion of it. personally I find it rather silly regardless how they spin it.

At least with "touching is good" you could play with it. but this name ranks in the kids potty humor range. not even as funny as a fart joke.
optimisticlimbo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm extremely hopeful that after receiving a lot of backlash between now and E3 that Nintendo will go back to Revolution. It just made more sense and encompasses everything that's going on with it. I know I'll buy it regardles of name, but this will hurt other people from supporting it, meaning I'll have less choices for yet another generation.

Although, I tend to buy only first party games anyway because of limited funds.
The Eggplant

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all about the games.
Kiretsu

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zero (The Anon One) wrote:
But I think it's too weeny for gamers and too bleh for mass market.

Don't you mean "wiiny" ?

My quandaries make my head spin and my tummy growl.

There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures, right next to the mashed potatoes.

Live every week like it's Shark Week!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
DeathJester

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kotaku expresses my feeling on the name here.
Kolian

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could simply be a marketing gimmick - raise awareness with an amazingly stupid name, then reveal the actual one later.
The Eggplant

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the sound I make when I play Mario Kart.
Nick

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:49 pm    Post subject: My three and a half cents Reply with quote

Like everyone else, my initial reaction was simply WHAT THE FUCK!?.

However, after thinking about it all day and reading every interview and piece of analysis I could find, it makes a lot more sense now.

If what Nintendo is saying is true - that this system is a true 'revolution' in gaming, and that it's NOT aimed at the so-called hardcore population but at the general public in an attempt to greatly expand the market, then it could really work. Revolution was a great name for a console, which was new and different - if you wanted to market it to that 20-something demographic which certain people like to pretend is the entire videogame populace now. However, it's not the name of something that you can see your grandma playing. Or your little sister, to paraphrase the letter on IGN today. It's not something I could see my dad playing - who used to play Space Invaders in college, who played NES and Genesis all the time with me, and which the last game he really got into was Quake II.

Wii, on the other hand... well, it could work. Major emphasis on could at this point. It's inclusive, it's different, and it has connotations on one hand of togetherness and family (we) and FUN on the other (wee!). Of course, in English we have all sorts of other meanings for it... piss, penis, and small come to mind immediately. Which is unfortunate, and why Nintendo will need to have a stellar marketing campaign for it, which history says isn't their style (though honestly I liked the DS Touching ads). However, if they really want that REVOLUTION, they needed that campaign anyways... and I'm sure they're aware of it. It's certainly a fitting international 2000-era gibberish marketing name... I can see it going over swimmingly in Japan and in Europe (even France - the Nintendo Yes... Yes is positive, yes is warm, yes is inclusive). But yeah, the English-speaking world is going to be problematic.

That inclusivity bit is absolutely key. It's completely against the standard grain of adjective-noun number. You know, XTREME STATION 10000 - big, strong, powerful, and 'cool' - not to mention inherently masculine and 'hardcore'. Wii on the other hand is everything Nintendo tries to be (family-friendly) and reaches out to women and to non-gamers... it's a name made to appeal to everyone.

And yeah, it's different. Really, really different. It is a revolution in console naming. It's nothing like the imagery of a GameCube, Genesthe gas, Dreamcast or Odyssey, or the gadget-cool power of a Playstation, XBox or more primitively, NES or TurboGrafx. Not to mention completely eschewing any of the sequelitis that was inherent even in the Nintendo 64.

An interesting sidenote is that the sound 'wi' simply does not exist in traditional Japanese. It's a completely foreign sounding word to them. This fits in well with Nintendo's seeming plan of keeping the (ever-shrinking market) of Japan as its home-base... there especially trying to get people back into gaming, with its retro library, and DS-style non-games.

That's the marketing analysis of the thing. Me persotnally, I still don't know how I think about it. I do like the logo though, and the video on the website. They're definitely going to emphasize the nature of the controller in the advertisements like that, likely using the i's.

What do you think, Brooke?

(P.S. Even if it is total crap, some random board-goer was right - at least tomorrow's PA will be hilarious)

Last edited by Nick on Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zero (The Anon One)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the Japanese note, ii does mean "good." As in "ii namae" as opposed to "warui namae." -_-

And like I said before, I agree with you, Nick that Revolution isn't the best name for a mass playing console. Old foggies hate change, i.e. revolution. And I think whimsical is the right tact to say here. And I think Wii probably works great on the international stage.

But GODDAMN am I gonna have to hear it from the PS/Xbox fanboys for the next five years.

On the PA Note, they did promise a podcast this Friday. That should make it doubly awesome.

-Davey Crockett
Nick

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:12 pm    Post subject: Sumimasen, watashi no nihongo wa joozu dewa nai Reply with quote

You're right. I don't know how I could have forgotten about ii. Mochiron, Nihon ni 'wii' wa ii namae desu.

Agreed about the rest. It's all in the marketing about the type of people who become PS3/360 fanboys. The big N really needs to prove that they really did learn a lot from Apple and market it accordingly.

Has anyone else noticed the ennui thing?
Zero (The Anon One)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah.

I just keep thinking about the classic marketing story of the Chevy Nova. Sold decently here, but when GM tried to sell it in Spanish speaking countries it sold like a horse with three legs. Turns out that "No va" means "No Go" in Spanish.

Just sayin'.

-Davey Crockett
Nick

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. Any other multilingual people want to help out?

I can vouch for English, Japanese and French, but I'm tapped when the scale gets a little broader.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Broken Saints Forum Index -> What Would You Give...to Know the Truth? All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: