Broken Saints Forum Index Broken Saints
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New DVD reviews
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Broken Saints Forum Index -> We Haven't Slept in Lifetimes...and our 1000 Eyes are Burning.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guppy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its alright man, do not worry about it it just makes the nice ones we find much sweeter. *shrugs*
bs

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D - I think Xan meant that his gal was telling the REVIEWER to jump in the lake...not YOU
Not just another star
It is Me
It is You
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
detonathor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doh!
Emperor Xan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, she's not into killing the messenger.

Shit man, I can barely make a peanut butter and jelly sandwhich. I can't make a watch.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bs

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From E-Insider.com

Quote:
What would you give to know the truth? That is the question posed by "Broken Saints." If you are looking for the most unique DVD experience of the year, I recommend that you run to the nearest video outlet and pick up this amazing new Boxed Set from FOX. I was one of the few people in the world unaware of the "Broken Saints" website. Don't worry, I've worn sackcloth and ashes to atone. This 12 hour epic comic tells a version of the coming apocalypse.
"Broken Saints" is the brainchild of writer/director Brooke Burgess, artist Andrew West and computer artist Ian Kirby. The tale is told in Flash. Unbeknownst to me, this story was a huge Internet phenom for the past six years. The tale is told in 28 or so chapters that run from 6 to 15 minutes each. The DVD version features cleaned up artwork and voice work by some of the best voice artists in the business. The end result is a mesmerizing and deliberately paced story that you will not be able to stop watching. I'm a huge fan of Stephen King's novel "The Stand." I read it in a non-stop 16-hour marathon the first time around. This DVD had a similar effect on me. If not for work, family and other obligations, I would have probably done the same thing with this DVD the first time around. On to the plot.

Four disparate characters each have the same vision. One is a Buddhist, another a Muslim, another a Christian and finally a pagan from the South Pacific. Each experiences terrifying visions and find themselves drawn toward a mysterious destination and the ultimate showdown between good and evil. The tale is mix of horror, science fiction, mysticism, spirituality (not religion) and just plain good drama. To tell more would spoil the experience.

Halfway through watching this DVD, I e-mailed the director to thank him for producing a project with such deep substance and grand adventure. He responded very quickly. Seems like a 'real' person. (A fact born out by the many extra features.) These folks are obviously deeper thinkers than I am. While I find it hard to gather the words to express the profound wonder I experienced while watching this epic saga, I can only say that this is THE MUST HAVE DVD of 2006.

The Disc
An amazing experience that will make you think, make you examine the world and your own inner beliefs. Great picture and sound quality. Five hours of amazing extras. Actually 17 hours of extras if you watch all 12 hours of the story with the filmmaker's commentary.
Picture Quality: 10/10
The colors are rich, deep and well saturated. Andrew West's artwork reminded me of Richard Corben's work in "Den." Not a copycat at all, but rather an inspired artist in his own right. This being a Flash production, you have more time to examine each of the images. In many ways, this is like reading a graphic novel.

Sound Quality: 10/10
The original web version of "Broken Saints" included Tobias Tinkers great music and the images. There were no voices. You can view this version that way with the 2.0 Stereo track. For the DVD version, the creators hired some of the best voice talent around to act out the many characters. Both the 5.1 and 2.0 tracks are rich and resonant. Nice balance between the ranges. Mr. Tinker's great score sound excellent.

Easter Eggs:
On Disc 1 there is a clip of composer Tobias Tinker playing one of the musical themes from the movie. There is also a very funny clip of the director singing the disco hit "Hot Stuff."

On Disc 2 there is an audio Easter Egg with the director waxing poetic about something I couldn't quite understand. I tried to find it later to listen again but can't figure out how I stumbled on it in the first place! That admission may explain why I didn't understand the talk in the first place!

On Disc 3 there is a quirky animated film that pretty much sums up life.

Disk 4 includes two clips. One of the series creators thanking all the folks who voted for them at Sundance. The other clip is just plain embarrassing, but fun! Find it and enjoy.

Extra Features: 10/10
Tons and tons of extras. You will find out just about anything you would ever want to know about the process. One thing that comes through on this DVD is the passion of the artists. The best example of this is the great lecture given by Brooke Burgess at the Walker Nation Art Center. I don't care what you do for a living. If you had the passion of this man for what he does, you would be the best at what you do, be it washing dishes or performing brain surgery. Fortunately, Mr. Burgess is also talented, intelligent and funny.

All 28 episodes include commentary tracks. I will eventually listen to all of them. The featurettes dealing with the production of this story are great.

The Final Word:

A unique experience in the world of DVDs. You will not find anything else like "Broken Saints" on the market. For the patient viewer, this DVD will provide you with untold riches and rewards. A modern masterpiece.

Not just another star
It is Me
It is You
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Emperor Xan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

28 episodes?

Shit man, I can barely make a peanut butter and jelly sandwhich. I can't make a watch.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Vertigo21

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emperor Xan wrote:
28 episodes?

That's what I thought too, but whatever. Awesome review overall. So good in fact that I posted a bulletin on Myspace with it in the hopes that my friends will check it out.

edit: Brooke, can you give me a link to the original site with the review? It looks like e-insider.com died or something, and I can't find it on google.
bs

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's actually www.einsiders.com - sorry about that!

b
Not just another star
It is Me
It is You
Infinite Blue, Quack M.D.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The E-insider review wrote:
There is also a very funny clip of the director singing the disco hit "Hot Stuff."

I need to find this.

Ze sveedish chef: eenfuneet bluoo ees ell ebuoot keyewtneuoeuoeus BORK BORK BORK!!!
Vertigo21

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Infinite Blue wrote:
The E-insider review wrote:
There is also a very funny clip of the director singing the disco hit "Hot Stuff."

I need to find this.

It's great.

Hint: red screen
JoshSpazJosh

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://dvd.ign.com/articles/724/724904p1.html
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bs

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah...there were a couple of smiley faces and italicized/quoted bits removed from our discourse...and I don't know why he threw in the press pics instead of the high-res art from the series I sent him...but at least I got some of my points out into the open.
Not just another star
It is Me
It is You
JoshSpazJosh

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prolly it was because they already had DVD screenshots up there. . .I think that Oran pic in particular is really good.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bs

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://hyperex.co.uk/reviewbrokensaints.php

From the Hyperliterature Exchange - a review of the original series that just went up. Really impressed by his attention to detail and coverage of series themes...especially the 'operatic' presentation.

b
Not just another star
It is Me
It is You
Vertigo21

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bs wrote:
http://hyperex.co.uk/reviewbrokensaints.php

From the Hyperliterature Exchange - a review of the original series that just went up. Really impressed by his attention to detail and coverage of series themes...especially the 'operatic' presentation.

b

Awesome review. You can tell he was really interested in the series.
bs

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://dvd.monstersandcritics.com/reviews/article_1190255.php

Another wicked one from the UK - 3 million visitors a month!!!

There's also one that just went live from a French newspaper - Le Soleil - anyone care to translate?

b
Not just another star
It is Me
It is You
Zeek

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey B, you boys gonna be in on hitting this shit?

http://news.com.com/Fox+to+offer+TV+downloads+on+MySpace/2100-1025_3-6105025.html
bs

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UK reviews! Another goodie...'nother not-so-goodie

http://dvd.monstersandcritics.com/reviews/article_1190255.php/DVD_Review_Broken_Saints

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=62500
Not just another star
It is Me
It is You
axl99

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh good gawd, all these DVD reviews are hilarious to read, especially the negative ones.
The Eggplant

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, yeah. I don't even know where to start on those [bad ones].
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Broken Saints Forum Index -> We Haven't Slept in Lifetimes...and our 1000 Eyes are Burning. All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: